Rejected pip because of schizophrenia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rejected pip because of schizophrenia

Options
MrSingh
MrSingh Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I was on DLA on middle level, and then last year about September I was told I needed to go on to PIP, I went to the assessment and then 5 months later,  this year 2019 I was rejected for PIP, I did appeal and was rejected again, because I can walk 200 meters, talk, communicate, take my own medication. I am on very high medication because I have schizophrenia. The appeal letter said as I can get around, PIP is not for mental health problems. All the questions didn't effect me, it's as they made a questionnaire  on purpose to reject and fail people with mental health problems. I really needed that money. I can't work, I really want to work but my head just can't take it. I have ESA and after bills I have about 50 pounds a week to live on, they stopped my housing benefit because my daughter started uni, and my eldest daughter started work. I tried CAB, they said we can't help you. They need to change the application form so people who have mental health problems like schizophrenia or depression can get some help.  I would like to work, I just can't do it. I've been rejected at interviews  saying we can't take you on because you have schizophrenia and we have heard on tv is that your not stable and maybe a danger. I have two kids, 20 and 23. My wife past away 2007,  and now they have stopped my DLA and failed me on PIP,  this PIP I think was made to get all disabled people of all benefits and on the streets.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, as you now well know the two benefits DLA and PIP are awarded using different criteria’s. Whereas DLA was about your illnesses and disabilities, PIP is about your abilities to cope and manage activities in your daily life in relation to the PIP descriptors. It is not about disability, diagnosis or the volume of medications you take. . PIP the benefit is was designed to help those who need help with their daily living activities and with mobility hence the descriptors used in the F2F acessments.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello @MrSingh Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining  and sharing. Sorry to hear about your experiences.

I am one of the community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I myself have Mental health issues.  I understand what you are going through.

Please can I ask are you receiving any support with your mental health?.

Something to consider.

I used mental health charities this one last time.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Might be useful for you. Have floating support and outreach workers plus benefit welfare support.

I do understand your circumstances might be able you help with some guidance regarding employment if that is some thing you wish to look at.

I know have sign posting to employment advisors with in the charity.

Also may help and advise you with your benefits, something else to look at.

I hope that helps.

Please if I can help further please get in touch.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • MrSingh
    Options
    Thank you very much for the reply, I do see a psychiatrist and have help at my doctors surgery.
  • MrSingh
    Options
    It's just that my medication has gone up again and they have added more medication. I want to work, the things I see and hear is real but my psychiatrist and doctor think other wise. 
    And I will check out the website that you mentioned 

Thank you so very much 
  • V2K_TI
    V2K_TI Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    I started hearing voices in 1998.  I was sectioned twice, in 2000 and 2001.  I carried on working.  I was finally diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 2002.  I lost my skilled, long-term and well-paid work in 2005, due to redundancy, though I carried on doing *some* sort of work.  I was awarded DLA for the rest of my life in 2012 and was allowed to do permitted work for up to 15 hours a week from 2014, earning no more than £105, without loss of benefits. I was comfortably off and eligible.

I don't see any way I can get PIP.  I am high-functioning, in-recovery and unmedicated because whatever causes me to hear voices, drugs don't stop them so there's no point in prescribing them to me. PIP isn't for people like us, people who call themselves targeted individuals and who attribute hearing manipulative voices constantly to the abuse of V2K technology, unless we fail spectacularly to learn to cope with this disadvantage.

I'll lose my home and my marriage and my mobility and my social inclusion if I suddenly lose DLA, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Legal Aid and Court Fees Remission ((for a pending family matter) and free dental treatment etcetera.  My children and grandchildren will lose a dad/granddad who remains able to maintain contact with them and who pays his way when he visits, or who can be visited at home, because he still has a home.

As far as I can see, PIP was *designed* to exclude all the high-functioning, in-recovery people with historic psychotic diagnoses who had been awarded DLA for life, because there was no cure for what was thought to be wrong with them, and whatever it was, it was pretty ghastly.  I have come into contact with scores of people like me, and have helped a few to appeal to the tribunal against interruptions in their benefits.

I'm only 66, so I am applying for jobs furiously, to postpone the crisis.  But if I live to such an age that I no longer have the stamina to work for a living, I dread to think how I'm likely to end up.  If I have as much difficulty getting job interviews now that I am desperate as I have had when I've had enough to live on without working, the crisis could come very soon.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @V2K_TI and welcome to the community. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

I'm sorry to hear you don't feel the benefit caters for your needs and that this has caused strain. Have you applied for PIP yet? Doing the self help test may see if you would qualify. Please do bare in mind that PIP is not about diagnosis.

If you are looking for work then Scope does offer a range of employment services which could be beneficial.

Please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• V2K_TI
    V2K_TI Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Hi Cloe

Sorry for the delay in replying today to your reply to my initial post almost a year-and-a-half ago. Thank you for replying.  If you wish to (and can) move our conversation to a new thread, please feel free to do so.  Mr Singh seems to have dropped out of the thread he started.  It's up to you.

When I first posted, I think I had already applied for PIP, but I hadn't yet completed by then the form describing how my disability affected me.  I have returned to this thread, noticing your reply, because I received the letter today refusing me PIP. 

My DLA will stop on 9th February even if I ask for a reconsideration before then, and will remain stopped even if I appeal and even if I later apply for judicial review of the decision.  This mere interruption of my DLA or PIP entitlement, whereby my DLA stopped without any PIP starting the very next day, will have the knock-on effects I mentioned in 2019, effects which won't legally be able to be undone even if (after several years of litigation) I am awarded PIP backdated to the date after my DLA stops.  Unless (that is) you can reassure me otherwise.

To clear up a couple of misunderstandings, back in August 2019, I wasn't trying to express any feelings (as you put it) about the fact that the benefit didn't "cater" to my needs (although it plainly is designed not to cater to needs like mine), or any feelings at all for that matter.  Nor was anything causing me any "strain" at the time, or is anything now for that matter.  However, my finances will come under considerable strain in less than 4 weeks time, to the tune of more than £100 a week.

I have to make an informed decision soon as to whether (1) to get a full-time, demanding but well-paid job at the age of 68, with a schizoprenia diagnosis since 2002 and symptoms (e.g. hearing annoying voices I attribute to V2K harassment) with which I cope too well for my own good; this after dependence upon health-related benefits since 2007 or thereabouts, including DLA awarded for an indefinite period or (2) to economise rather a lot, to search for somewhere cheaper to live (a tall order) and to document my likely unsuccessful attempts to get help, in order to guard against the possible future accusation that I have made myself homeless voluntarily, when my savings run out and my rent arrears become intolerable to my private landlord.

There isn't a middle way option, of getting a part-time job or one that only pays minimum wage, because 20% of any wages I earn will disappear in tax, and 65% of whatever is left will be deducted from whatever Housing Benefit I remain entitled to, when my Pension Credit Guarantee Credit gateway benefit stops.

You asked me to let me know whether there was anything "else" you could do to help.  I don't think there is anything you can do to help, but, if you think of anything, please feel free to offer.

Empoverishing the survivors of career-ending mental illness who cannot reinstate themselves into the job market as self-sufficient seems to be a deliberate design feature of the migration of claimants with disabilities from DLA to PIP.  Is this a good place to have a political moan about that?  Schizophrenic people aren't all good at saving up during years of plenty, for the lean years of the present austerity.  I was awarded DLA for life, unless my condition improved.  I planned around that.  People like us are the casualties of the migration.

Kind regards,

(real name withheld out of embarrassment)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @V2K_TI I'm sorry to hear this. You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) for this, you should state where and why you think you should have scored those points. Adding a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

It's important to remember that DLA and PIP are different benefits, with different criteria. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. While lots of people are awarded successfully with no problems at all, there are some people that don't fit the descriptors. If you don't fit them, you won't score the points needed for an award.

As you are now over state pension age then you won't be able to re-apply again for PIP if you decide not to request the MR then Tribunal for this decision. It will then become Attendance Allowance, which has no mobility part.

If the MR decision doesn't change then it's Tribunal after that.

If you do go on to be successfully awarded after either MR or Tribunal then it will be backdated to the date your DLA ended.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.