Sickness — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sickness

maza
maza Community member Posts: 38 Connected
Hi all. I am a new member so thought i would tell you a bit about my circumstances. I am 63 years old and have had copd for many years. I always worked until my health got too bad to keep doing it. I went for an esa assessment in Oct last year and on 28th Nov I got a phone call to say my esa had stopped as i got zero points and was fit for work. I requested a mandatory reconsideration and after 2 weeks was told it was unsuccessful so i had no choice but to go see about money as i had no income. Was told I needed to claim universal credit which i did. Then went to money matters 2 days later to put in an appeal. I handed in a fit note from my doctor on the 19th dec but was told as it only said copd it meant i still was fit for work. So on 31st dec I took very ill and was rushed to hospital with pneumonia and sepsis for which i had to had in another fit note from hospital. Then my doctor gave me a fit note for 13 weeks. I now have a date for my appeal and also universal credit sent me a form to fill in to see if am fit to look for work. I really dont know whether am coming or going. And am getting half the money i was getting on esa. Sorry for rant M.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately, you will have to fill in the work capability assessment form you've been sent for UC and return it with all your evidence no later than the date stated in the letter. The process is exactly the same as it was for ESA, so expect another face to face assessment.

For the Tribunal for ESA if a decision goes in your favour and you're placed into the Support Group (LCWRA) then you'll be backdated any money owed from the 14th week of your claim from when you started your claim for ESA. DWP will honour the decision from that and place in the relevant group for UC, which is LCWRA.

However, as you've now got another form to return any decision made on this will overrule the Tribunal decision because this is a new claim and the Tribunal is for your previous claim. Hopefully it won't come to that and you'll have a decision in your favour. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • maza
    I sent the other form away about 4 weeks ago. Thank you for information. I dont have a clue and am totally confused 
  • poppy123456
    It's all extremely confusing, i agree. Here's a link that will explain the criteria for limited capability for work and limited capability for work related activity.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • maza
    Thank you. At the minute a I am just going along with what i am told to do although the thought of going to another assessment is making me ill because i have only been out in car for doctors or hospital appointments.
  • poppy123456
    These assessments are very worrying and stressful i agree. Unfortunately they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months. Good luck for the assessment and Tribunal, take someone with you if possible. You will have to speak for yourself for them both but having someone with can help with the stress etc.
  • maza
    My daughter will be with me as she has since start of year. I would like to thank you as i have had more reassurance in one morning than i have had since Nov.
  • poppy123456
    Glad to hear and you're very welcome.
  • maza
    Just wanted to update my story lol. I got a msg today from uc saying i have been awarded LCWRA AND I dont need to hand in anymore sick notes but i still have my appeal on 8th april and i am guessing I still need to go to it. Thank you SO much for help I have got on here. I was making myself ill with it all. M.
  • poppy123456
    Great news! Yes you will still have to attend the Tribunal because that is for the ESA decision. If you're awarded the same from them then you'll be owed all that backdated money from ESA.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for updating us @maza! I'm glad it has worked out with UC for you. 
    Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on with your tribunal. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • maza
    I will do. I have felt better in past few days on here than 4 months with dwp. M
  • maza
    Hi all. Hope your well. I have been to money matters appointment this morning about my esa appeal next Monday. When i told the advisor there that i have been awarded LCWRA from universal credit she said that if I could get details of exact points awarded for LCWRA then she would show that to the tribunal and i might not even have to go in. I have messaged universal credit on my journal but dont know if i will get this proof on time. I just cant wait Monday to get it over with. Thanks for support again

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.