Seeking parents to join me in setting up residential home for young adults — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Seeking parents to join me in setting up residential home for young adults

tina100
tina100 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I am a parent of a 23 years old man with autism and cerebral palsy. I want to start up a residential home where a small group of parents are in control. Is there anyone interested in coming on board with me?

Comments

• greatsay
    greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    That sounds like a very good idea and can be very person centred. I live in supported living and my care company likes to say they are person centred but they are more company centred which reflects badly on the services users. I know my care company treats people who are more outspoken or with parents that can speak on behalf of the services use wayr better then people with nobody and who haven't got a voice, they are always having their hours taken off them unlike the more social people. I hope you have susses in your endeavours.. 
  • tina100
    Grestsay. I completely understand. Not only am I a parent of a disabled child I have also worked in the care business. I would love to start the BEST most person centred home where parents and individuals themselves have real power. Thanks for your good wishes. ❤️
  • dozzame
    dozzame Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi everyone.
    I have 15 years experience in care and 12 years of this I worked in supported living and was a registered manager. I have accomadation to start one up but unsure how I go about it. Where you all from?
  • mumtocpson
    mumtocpson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • mumtocpson
    mumtocpson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I am new to this site and just saw your post. It has been a while since you posted this and I was just wondering if you had made any progress with this. It is something I have thought about for a long time. 
  • tina100
    edited April 2019
    Mumtocpson
    you are the only reply in fact but I am still hoping that some day it will happen. [Email address removed by moderator]
  • Freddy67
    Freddy67 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    It sounds like a brilliant idea. Have you tried posting on other forums? Like health unlocked.
  • tina100
    Thanks for the tip!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Ahh, this is something I would have been interested in, I wanted to be a carer for disabled people before my health started to get worse. I hope you manage to get it off the ground :D 

Brightness