Help with PIP for autistic son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with PIP for autistic son

Options
gemmaw8
gemmaw8 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have a 16-year-old boy with autism struggled all his life never had a problem with the other one but now it's gone to pip they have refused him in the recommendation letter they lied about what he's able to do I am is appointee  for now until he goes to college this would help him out a lot if he got it he's also got dyspraxia dyslexia ADHD you will be going to a special needs college if anybody can help please can you put me in the right directions x

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gemmaw8

Welcome to our online community/family?

It’s great to meet you today ?

Yes we have got some benefit info/advice/advisors on here ???

Please please let me know if any of these would be helpful❓❓

@steve51  

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If he's been refused your next step is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put this request in writing stating where you think he should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this.

Evidence will be needed to support a claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this. The onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

PIP is awarded based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors and not about a diagnosis.

I'd advise you to speak to either and advice centre near you for help and support. Welfare rights or a law centre is a good place to start. This link will help you find what's local to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have some videos about the PIP appeal, this one is about going to Mandatory Reconsideration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9eTgNyPo9Q
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.