Pip review award ended — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review award ended

cherry83
cherry83 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have arthritis, fibromyalgia and nerve damage. I was awarded pip 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with arthritis on its own. Since then my condition has worsened been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and nerve damage.  Chronic pain constant neve issues, fatigue, leaves me unable to many of the pip descriptiors. I had my renewal assessment a few weeks ago and today I have been told they’ve took my pip off me completely scoring no points for anything. Stating the opposite to everything I said and everything that’s in my medical reports. They made the point I don’t have any involvement from anyone other than my GP which I don’t for the arthritis, fibromyalgia and nerve damage because I was put on medication and discharged back to my GP. I am awaiting to see a mental health nurse and an the orthopaedic clinic. But apparently that don’t count because it’s not happening right now? Which is stupid I can’t cobtrol the nhs waiting list can I! Also I’ve had aids from OT which they have ignored completely despite having the report on my first claim and again at renewal. I just don’t understand how I can go from getting standard daily living to nothing when I am far more impacted by my conditions now than I was when I first claimed. 
I’ve wrote a mandatory reconsideration, has anyone got any advice for me please? Before I send it? 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @cherry83, we have some fantastic videos about appealing a DWP decision here:

It's important to show how your daily life is affected by your conditions, so make sure to provide examples and evidence where possible.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 27 Connected
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @cherry83 thank you for sharing this with us. I am sorry to hear the outcome of your assessment. We have some information here too on appealing a DWP benefits decision. Please keep us updated. :)
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi cherry83,

Just to say that once your get your reconsidered decision you can then appeal if they have not reinstated your PIP.

The Scope information above will guide you through the process.

Regards,

Michael
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    cherry83,
    You have probably asked for your mandatory reconsideration by now. If not, or when you get to the appeal stage, it's good to identify what points you should have got and why. You can do this using the PIP self-test here.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

From what you say it sounds as if you should score high points on many of the activities. As to how this can happen, unfortunately the assessments are done very poorly. It clearly shouldn't happen. You might also want to contact your MP about this. If you haven't yet got the assessor's report, you can ask for it. It's not essential to point out everything that is wrong in it (this would take a very long time!), but you can state what evidence you have that their conclusions are wrong (for example where they find you have no points, explain why you should score points). 

I hope you're successful and that the decision gets changed quickly. Unfortunately mandatory reconsideration usually isn't successful, but if there is any additional medical evidence you can supply, that helps.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• djbantiques
    djbantiques Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Forget the opinions in the report or letter. don't get sidetracked by these.
    Focus on the descriptors which you are affected by because of your conditions and which you think you should score points from.
    Explain when, how and why you should have scored points for these activities. Give examples and if possible back up your views with evidence for example, care plans, physio / occupational therapy reports which detail your difficulties.
     Reiterate the aids from your OT, send photographs and copies of NHS receipts, if you have them, for any of the aids.
    Emphasise strongly on where you should have scored points and explain why the assessor is mistaken. Look for the reason they have given as to why you didn't score the points.
    For example  "held papers with pincer grip  so can prepare food without aids or assistance". Explain exactly how cutting food, chopping, opening tins, bottles, stirring, lifting etc makes preparing a meal so difficult and is not comparable to holding a 100gm sheaf of papers as many different muscles, joints, ligaments and actions are in use.
    Do this for each activity, be thorough, send it with your MR, no point in holding back in case of a tribunal.
    Remember the DWP decision maker may have no knowledge of your conditions, so make sure they understand EXACTLY how you are impacted.

Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.