Sick note — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sick note

beezle
beezle Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
i really didnt know where to post this but does a fit note carry on from ESA to UC as i was taken of ESA on the 6th of august and made a claim for UC on the 9th of august.UC then accepted a fit note from the 2nd of august.When i spoke to my work coach she said that my time on my fit note starts again with them.So that means that i have been on sick for 12 months but UC say that i have only been on sick with them since august and they cant continue the sick note from ESA.
Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

What was the reason you started a claim for UC? As you were sending in sick notes for ESA i'm assuming you weren't in any of the groups?

Since you claimed UC have you continued to send in sick notes and have you been referred for a work capability assessment yet?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • beezle
    Hi poppy123456 when on ESA I was originally homeless so I was not aware of any groups (and I'm still not) but I was taken of ESA on the 6th august 2018 as I did not pass a assessment with them I was not notified of this until my benefits were stopped an I was then told to apply for UC.Upon applying for universal credit they accepted a fit note from the 2nd of august (I assumed a continuation from one benefit to another for the sick note).As for a assessment on UC I rang them this morning for a UC50 form upon which I was asked had I had a referral to which I said I thought my work coach had done it but I was informed they hadn't.A referral has now been made 
  • beezle
    My question really was 
    Would my sick note be continued over to UC as there was a 2 day period where I was not on benefits
  • poppy123456
    Most likely yes but have you continue to send in the fit notes? You'll need to continue to send them until a decision's been made. If you haven't continued to send them then you'll need to send a backdated one dated from the time the last one ran out.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • beezle
    Yes I was sending sick notes in from march through to august on continuing sick notes when on ESA.When going on to UC on the 9th august they accepted a sick note from 2nd of august so even though I had a 2 day break I was covered the whole time and have continued to send in sick notes ever since so in total between both benefits it has been a year
  • poppy123456
    Did you appeal the ESA decision? If you didn't then the UC claim will be classed as a new claim and it won't continue from the ESA claim.
  • beezle
    I didn't as I was just told to claim UC no one said that I could appeal and I never received a letter stating that I had lost ESA I only found out when I rang them to see why I hadn't been paid
    Thank you for your help
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. This means that the time you were claiming ESA will not be counted and your claim for limited capability for work will start from when you claimed UC and sent in your fit note. Once you're assessed with the work capability assessment and a decision is made then if you're awarded LCWRA then you'll be paid the extra money from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent in your fit note.

If the decision is LCW because your claim started after April 2017 then you won't receive the extra money.

Remember that decisions can be appealed within 1 month of the decision (13 months if you have good reason why you didn't appeal within the first month) First step to the appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal if that fails.

It maybe worth speak to a local advice agency near you about appealing the ESA decision as this was within the last 13 months.
  • beezle
    Thank you that helps a lot

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.