Health & Safety - Landord obligations. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Health & Safety - Landord obligations.

Options
Roddy
Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
I live in a Sheltered Accommodation facility for the elderly, sick and disabled. It is owned & managed by a registered Charitable Trust.

I have identified NUMEROUS serious breaches of Health & Safety from Feb 2017 to present current day, some of which were evident prior to my residency.

A formal Health & Safety inspection by my local authority H&S Officers took place today, and I managed to speak with them privately after they had finished their inspection.

My Question is:  Can I as a Tenant/Paying Client & Resident request a copy of the Health & Safety Report from the council and/or my landlord, and am I entitled to a copy from them. 

I would be extremely grateful for accurate advice please. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello, as you didn’t request or pay for the inspection I would say no you are not entitled to a copy of the report, but there is nothing stopping you from asking,requesting a copy or using the freedom of information act to get a copy if it is available though this means.  It Will make an interesting read and may either put your mind  at rest or sleepless nights.
  • Roddy
    Options
    wilko said:
    Hello, as you didn’t request or pay for the inspection I would say no you are not entitled to a copy of the report, but there is nothing stopping you from asking,requesting a copy or using the freedom of information act to get a copy if it is available though this means.  It Will make an interesting read and may either put your mind  at rest or sleepless nights.
    @wilko
    Thanks for that. I would not imagine that anybody paid for the inspection as it is a requirement by law and such inspections are carried out unannounced. As the inspection only took place today, I'll give it a month or so and then contact the Council. My Landlord is very untrustworthy, as to why I would like their copy too, to make comparisons. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Roddy I am sorry to hear this. I think getting in touch with your local council may be helpful. Please keep us updated on how it goes.
  • Roddy
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @Roddy I am sorry to hear this. I think getting in touch with your local council may be helpful. Please keep us updated on how it goes.
    Hi @Antonia_Scope
    Unfortunately (but very true) is that my landlord 'is in' with Council and has up to date also been 'highly praised' by the local MP too. Requesting independent investigations from Social Workers to Councillors are met with closed doors... 

I have however, come a very long with identifying some VERY SERIOUS matters and what are also deemed as being illegal & unlawful practices which go back some 12+ years. The difficulty of course and the huge stumbling block that I face is being taken seriously despite indefensible evidence at my disposal.

Unless one has  a bottomless wallet to fund legal advisors NOTHNIG gets done and NOBODY will represent you. Anyway, I have two separate Discrimination cases Protectively Issued which will be served to the Landlord (so-called Charity) within the next 8 weeks. I'm lucky to have got Legal Help, as without it just getting this far would have cost me over £20,000 and this is before the estimated court costs of £40,000... What a world, eh? 

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Roddy thank you for the update. I am happy to hear you have legal help, that is a lot to pay! You may find our page on other ways to finding legal help useful.  I really hope you have a positive outcome on this, please let us know how it goes. 
  • Roddy
    Options
    Thank You @Antonia_Scope …  The situation at my housing facility worsens each day in terms of what I learn, all of which is factual and can be substantiated.  Only this afternoon, it has been confirmed to me that each resident (there are 7 in total) all of which are elderly, sick and disabled, pay £70.82 per week each for food.  The Landlord/Charity (call them what you will) purchases £20 per week per resident for what they proclaim to be 'Healthy Home-Cooked Food' three times per day...  

Residents are fed a burger, mash & baked bens one day then 2 fish fingers, mash and baked beans the next, and THAT is their only hot food each day. There are residents here that are bed-ridden and in their 90s, mentally ill residents and those that are sick. Breakfast consists of no more than a bowl of cereal which THEY have to do for themselves, and often there is no milk at all anywhere...

It was a residents 80th Birthday on Sunday. He has been here 15 years. Only one member of staff showed up, a few 1" cold sausage rolls were put out, a bowl of crisps and a few 1/4s of sandwiches for all 7 residents... What was left over, was fed to them again for their evening meal. It's disgraceful. 

Residents here are not getting charity. Each pays over £250 per week to be here. They are treated like idiots, and are managed/supported by some of the most vile persons imaginable. Those who ARE nice, caring individuals are threatened with disciplinary action if they whistle-blow to anybody.   
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Roddy

You have managed something that many would like, I am almost speechless. You would receive better care in prison, not that I am suggesting that as an option
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Roddy
    Options
    Hi Roddy

You have managed something that many would like, I am almost speechless. You would receive better care in prison, not that I am suggesting that as an option
    @CockneyRebel

The abhorrent working methods and codes of practice here are truly atrocious. They paint such a marvellous picture of themselves on YouTube and the likes of, but nothing could be further from the truth. Quite how they've been getting away with it for 12+ years is beyond me... For example, I pay £18+ per week for Personal Cleaning. I've been here since February 2017. NOT ONCE has my wash-hand basin been cleaned, or my carpet hoovered and there are times when I have waited up to SIX WEEKS for my bedding to be changed. We all get charged for an Alarm System that doesn't work, a Door Entry system which residents are strictly forbidden from using (none have the code) and I am one of only two residents that has been allowed a front door key following 18 months of asking. I also pay a weekly Laundry charge and my hand towel is supposed be changed daily... It gets changed every two weeks (if I'm lucky) PLUS I have to purchase my own laundry soap. I am also meant to be checked every day for my health & safety... I can wait TWO WEEKS before any staff knock on my door... The communal telephone gets unplugged every night (no other way of contacting the outside world) and even when it is plugged in, no resident is allowed to use it. And THAT LOT is only a small fraction of it... Even my private mail has been opened or withheld for 12 days. Oh, we also get charged for CCTV... there's none in the building or its grounds.

This is not a fictional story... It is absolute 100% fact.  

Brightness