How can I look for work if my gp says I'm not fit for work? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I look for work if my gp says I'm not fit for work?

Options
kimmyEvans1
kimmyEvans1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone I had my esa stopped and had to go on universal credit,  basically the assessor lied about what i could do, and twisted my words, anyway since I've been put on universal credit my gp has been giving me fit notes saying I am not fit for work , but i still have to go in every week to the job centre to see my work coach, she said I need to put that I have searched for work ect in my journal, is this normal? How can I look for work if my gp says I'm not fit for work? ..Thanks guys for any help x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, unfortunately it's perfectly normal. A sick note from your GP doesn't automatically qualify you for limited capability for work. It's your work coaches discretion how many hours you do each week, until you've been assessed and a decision's been made. Have you been referred for a work capability assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kimmyEvans1
    Options
    I had a esa face to face in November,  the assessor lied about what i said ect, they took me off esa,  i appealed via a m.r and it came back they were backing their decission, so i have to appeal again, I've had a universal credit work capability form that I've had to send back but not heard anything else since , i just don't get if a Dr says you are not fit for work they can turn round and say actually you are so prove you are looking,  it's making my depression and anxiety worse 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @kimmyEvans1, I'm very sorry to hear this. It must be very stressful. If you are feeling up to it, we'd love to hear for you to share your experiences with our stories team.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • kimmyEvans1
    Options
    Absolutly I will, i have just had another letter telling me I have to go for another assessment, this is the 3rd one in a year , the last one was only in December 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi 
    I was in this position my doc signed me off as not fit for work but after home assessment through universal credit they said I was fit for work. I have had my leg amputated and was housebound so no idea how I could go to work when I couldn't even get out house without someone carrying me out took ambulance crew of 2 to get me out for any appts. Anyway I appealed the decision and went to tribunal and won my case. So keep at it and don't give up but they don't take fact a doctor says you are unfit into account 
  • ManinderRakhra
    ManinderRakhra Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    I have severe ulcerative colitis and distal colitis. I applied for ESA but they answered me that I will not get any penny. I got a form from DWP and sent my all reports. I don't know what will happen. Really hard to get things without any money. Really upset and couldn't sleep due to depression. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,023 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have severe ulcerative colitis and distal colitis. I applied for ESA but they answered me that I will not get any penny. I got a form from DWP and sent my all reports. I don't know what will happen. Really hard to get things without any money. Really upset and couldn't sleep due to depression. 

HI and welcome,

Are you saying you applied for ESA and were refused from the start of your claim?

Or you applied, received payments every fortnight, had a work capability assessment and were found fit for work so your money stopped?

Sorry for the questions but it's not clear exactly what's happened.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.