Question about Severe Disability Allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about Severe Disability Allowance

Options
julieheeds
julieheeds Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone 
i get esa and enhanced pip for motorbility
and middle daily living allowance 
I’ve been getting the support allowance and told to put in for severe disability allowance but they have only given me the enhanced which is what I was on anyway 
is this correct as I know a few who get the severe and not on high mobility pip x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

To claim the severe disability premium you must be claiming daily living PIP, no one must be claiming Carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone. You must also be claiming Income related ESA and not the New style ESA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • julieheeds
    Options
    I do get pip living allowance middle rate living on my own and on esa but only got enhanced  not severe even though I get high motobility  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    High/Enhanced mobility isn't part of the criteria. The Enhanced disability premium is automatically paid to those in the Support Group claiming income related. There's no middle rate of daily living PIP, it's standard or Enhanced and any part will qualify you for the SDP providing the other criteria apply. See link above.

As you live alone does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you? If they don't then you need to ring DWP and ask to fill out the IS10 form, it can be done over the phone as it's just a few simple questions. Claims can take 3-4 weeks approximately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • julieheeds
    Options
    I’ve done all that and no one claims for looking after me 
    my friend who is on the same as me gets severe but they have only awarded me enhanced  so just a bit lost on how they work it out when 1 disabled person can get it but others can’t even when on same benifits x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Which group are you in for ESA? If it's the support group then this pays £127.15 per week. If you add on the severe disability premium of £64.30 per week, this gives a total ESA Income Related amount of £191.45 per week. Is the amount you claim £127.15 per week?
  • julieheeds
    Options
    Yes it is poppy 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then if you live alone (no adults over the age of 18 living with you) and you claim daily living PIP (not mobility) then you need to ring ESA again and ask to fill out the IS10 form.
  • julieheeds
    Options
    I will do poppy thank you for your help 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.