Letter received for interview at job centre — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Letter received for interview at job centre

PIPnewbie
PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
My girlfriend has been on ESA for over 10 years. I’m not sure which version of ESA she gets but she gets £127.15.  She’s never been to an interview since before she got ESA.

Anwyay, she “must” attend one at the beginning of April or lose her benefits.  They want proof of identity and a bank statement to show what savings she has and they’ll confirm with the HMRC.

Does anyone know what this is about?  She does not really want to go to an interview. Her disabilities are far worse now than they were 10 years ago.

Comments

• PIPnewbie
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Hi poppy it’s me sorry can you tell me I have 6 week sick note in dwp what work do they want me to do with no hands and is there any safety rules for me at work like washing hands going loo holding things thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    @PIPnewbie as the letter is asking for proof of savings does is say an interview under caution or anything like that? My guess and it's only a guess is that they're doing a benefit check on her. Maybe someone has reported her for something. It could also be a completely random check but she will need to attend.

I'd advise her to ring the number on the letter and ask what it's about and they may tell her.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Hi poppy it’s me sorry can you tell me I have 6 week sick note in dwp what work do they want me to do with no hands and is there any safety rules for me at work like washing hands going loo holding things thank you
    Hi Dotty,

I really don't know the answer to that i'm afraid. Sometimes decisions really don't make any sense.

Are you getting some help with the MR/Tribunal from an advice agency near you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dotty123
    Yes I sent mr sdp says because my esa stopped I can’t claim until I’m on a benefit I just don’t no what I’m safe at I can’t wash hands if go toilet if serve food I can’t pick up things or eat with knife fork when I do my tribunal should I ask then x
  • PIPnewbie
    @PIPnewbie as the letter is asking for proof of savings does is say an interview under caution or anything like that? My guess and it's only a guess is that they're doing a benefit check on her. Maybe someone has reported her for something. It could also be a completely random check but she will need to attend.

I'd advise her to ring the number on the letter and ask what it's about and they may tell her.
    I doubt very much someone has reported her.  She doesn’t really know anyone or go anywhere as she’s housebound.  

Shes asleep now, I’ll ask her to send me a picture of the letter later this evening.

Thanks for the help!
  • poppy123456
    Dotty123 said:
    Yes I sent mr sdp says because my esa stopped I can’t claim until I’m on a benefit I just don’t no what I’m safe at I can’t wash hands if go toilet if serve food I can’t pick up things or eat with knife fork when I do my tribunal should I ask then x
    For the SDP if you qualify they will owe you money backdated to when you were claiming the ESA. If you've had a decision of a refusal because you're no longer claiming the ESA then you need to get some advice regarding that because it can be backdated to when you were claiming the ESA.

It's really difficult to give advice on an internet forum because no one knows exactly how your conditions affect you. Please get some help and advice because when you request the Tribunal you'll need to know which descriptor applies to you and your reasons why.
  • Dotty123
    Ok thank you x
  • PIPnewbie
    @poppy123456

I forgot to get back to you. The letter just says:

“We’re reviewing your benefits and circumstances. You must come to an office interview.

We need to talk to you about some changes that may affect your benefits payments. You must be available for this interview and have all the information listed on page 1 and 2 with you.”

Then it lists a driving licence, bank statement, etc,

• poppy123456
    @PIPnewbie they sometimes do random checks but as advised, the only way to know for sure what it's about is for her to ring the number on the letter. She will have to attend otherwise her benefits could stop.
  • PIPnewbie
    Okay thanks. I’ll phone her shortly and tell her to give them a call.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @PIPnewbie
    Hi I had the same letter a few months ago and attended the interview. I was because I had re applied for SDP.
    I took all the bank statements etc but they didn’t look at them. It was basically to answer there questions. The interviewer wrote everything down and that was given to a decision maker to assess it.

i hope that helps
  • PIPnewbie
    susan48 said:
    @PIPnewbie
    Hi I had the same letter a few months ago and attended the interview. I was because I had re applied for SDP.
    I took all the bank statements etc but they didn’t look at them. It was basically to answer there questions. The interviewer wrote everything down and that was given to a decision maker to assess it.

i hope that helps

Thanks for the reply Susan.  So did it affect any of your benefits or did they remain the same?

She got PIP last year and they phoned her about SDP but she confirmed she lives with her grandparents so they said she wasn’t entitled to it, which is fine. She never applied.
  • susan48
    @PIPnewbie
    yes I was awarded SDP and was backdated to when they stopped the SDP.
    Maybe it’s to to with the SDP, you will only find out when she goes for the interview. I think she will have to go into the interview alone unless the interviewer lets someone in. I was allowed my friend in because the claim involved them.

it maybe just a ramdom check though, please let,e know how she gets on. I was very anxious and worried about it but it was ok.
  • poppy123456
    @susan48 it won't be about the SDP because PIPnewbie's girlfriend lives with her grandparents.
  • susan48
    @poppy12345
    Nobody will know what it’s about until she actually goes for the interview. I was only talking and my experience.
  • PIPnewbie
    @poppy123456 as @susan48 said, will I be allowed to go in with her?  And do you guys know what sorts of questions they will ask her?  She gets so nervous about these things.
  • poppy123456
    Yes you'll be able to go with her. I've no idea what they will ask her, it really depends what the interview is for. Did she ring them like i advised?

It won't be about the SDP because like you said she doesn't qualify for that because she lives with her grandparents.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.