! And I need some advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

! And I need some advice please

Options
Gill86
Gill86 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi - I am currently in PIP and my husband and I are on joint claim for ESA. Due to Illnesses my husband didn’t manage to attend the work capability assessment and today we received a letter to say that the esa would be stopped!
now where do we go from here because surely if it’s a joint claim I am still entitled to some money and also - can I then claim esa as a joint claim in my name instead of my husband. And lastly as I have been trying to tell him for a while now - can he just forget about esa and claim income support and carers allowance? If so would I then be claiming esa? 
Oh panic stations?!? Can you tell? 
Many and all advice appreciated 

gill 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gill86 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened, I am unsure however some of our community members will know and will be in contact with you soon. Let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Gill86
    Options
    Hi Ami2301 - thank you - nice to meet you - yes I hope someone can guide us further because we are at a bit of a loss as to what to do next!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2019
    Options

Hello @Gill86 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry this has happened. Please can I ask did you inform the DWP?. You were unable to attend the assessment.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join.

Understand surely that if you were ill then another appointment would be needed to be sent to you.

I would ask for another assessment not your fault.

As for benefit advice and your joint claim. Not too sure. Need to speak to CAB. Could be useful.

Have expertise and knowledge.

I know there will be members of our community or a member of our team may advise also.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gill86 and welcome

Probably the best thing to do is get trained help from an advice agency near you. They will be able to do a full benefits check with you and talk through your options
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gill86
    Options
    Hi thespiceman and CockneyRebel - thank you both very much for your advice. 
    Thespiceman - My husband has two appointments and due to illness was not able to attend them. I know we phoned for the first one and they sent out the second appointment but I don’t think we did phone about the second one ( tbh we were both a bit panicky because we knew it wasn’t good to not attend a second one either ) but he really wasn’t fit enough to go.

can I ask you cockneyrebel what kind of advice agency you had in mind ?

thanks again 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    CAB, Welfare right or a law centre will be good places to start
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Gill86
    Options
    Thanks cockneyrebel - good idea !
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Gill86 please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions please let us know. :)
  • Gill86
    Options
    Hi Antonia_Scope of course I will. I have just messaged CAB so I’ll let you know what they advise ? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello @Gill86 Thank you for the reply. Happy to help.

I know I have been through similar to yourself.

In my circumstances needed mental health support. Cancelled a few times, because my support worker could not attend.

Among other things such as illness or not well to attend.

Remember this is not your fault. I think speaking to CAB hopefully can give you some reassurance.

Please keep in touch.

We are here to support you and always here to advise.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Gill86
    Options
    Thank you so much for that lovely reply @thespiceman I’m hoping that we get this sorted out ASAP and will keep in touch to let you know how it goes ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.