PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    As far as I know there's nothing to prevent someone who is able to work from claiming PIP.

However since PIP is about functional ability i.e. whether you can wash, dress, cook, mobilise etc it's quite hard to imagine circumstances in which someone would be lacking the ability to carry out these tasks and still be able to work (dependent on what your job was obviously)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Why would you need to claim PIP if you have been doing your job for many years now, have you read the pip descriptiors or down a pip self test. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Planning and following a journey is for those with limitations on mobility deriving from mental health, cognitive and sensory impairments. Moving around part is for those with physical disabilities.

Preparing a meal, you won't score point simply because you can't cook.

This link may help you understand the PIP descriptors and what they mean a little more.

People very often over score their self, which is a very easy thing to do when you don't fully understand the criteria.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You do not have to explain your self to a load of strangers, but without understanding the extent of your problems it is very difficult to give even vaguely accurate information.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @betheliza - I hope that you don't leave the forum as there is a lot of useful advice on here....

@ilovecats and @poppy123456 are correct in my opinion. One of the things that I've noticed since being on here (not long) is that sometimes people have an unreasonable expectation when applying for PIP.

The on-line self tests are good as a guide but you have to be careful how you use them.In addition to needing a good knowledge of the descriptors it's a bit like marking your own homework - it's easy to be a 'generous' marker. I found that, although it flies in the face of human nature, it's best to try to be strict with yourself. That way whatever total you end up with it's more likely to be somewhere near the truth...
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    in my experience of the PIP journey descriptor the word "unfamiliar" was totally ignored and getting yourself from A to B on your own, which presumably you do if you work, would go against you. If you leave here that's up to you. The written word is often misunderstood as there's no body language or intonation to pick up on to help with the meaning. However if you're open minded and remember that it's possible to have a discussion and even to disagree without it becoming personal than you won't feel you have to leave. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    If you can read and write then you won't score any points for activity 8 reading an understanding signs and symbols.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    There are people who claim pip and work.
    I dont see how thats possible but it does happen.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:

I would hazard a guess that Sir Stephen Hawking ( G.r.h.s. ) might have been eligble for a PIP award
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:
    Misscleo said:

It’s very possible, blind, dead, Epilepsy, certain paralysis etc all conditions where PIP is claimed genuinely and people still work.

A lot of people use PIP as a replacement for working which is not what it is designed for.

Taxi’s to work, travel companion, adapted car, aids to help people get dressed, etc that’s what it should be used for. 

When people claim PIP, who work but their claim is contradicted by their working ability, those people are likely not to receive it. 
    I must agree with you. A PIP award is not money to be treated as general income. It is paid, as you quite rightly point out, to help towards the extra costs that a disability causes such as private treatment, aids, etc

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.