Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Options
Bevvy7andover
Bevvy7andover Community member Posts: 38 Connected
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
so how on earth when you get an indefinite award can you still get PIP? I won my last tribunal and now 18 months later I’m facing another tribunal I’ve got to give my car back on the 7th I’ve had the car 16 months and I’m losing it surely it’s not cheaper to let clients keep the cars and not have to give a car back if they lose the case if you win then financially everyone gains???

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Bevvy7andover thank you for sharing this with us. You may want to contact your local cab for advice

Please keep us updated..
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no indefinite awards for PIP. The longest is 10 years with a light touch review. Indefinite awards were only for DLA and that no longer exists.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    so how on earth when you get an indefinite award can you still get PIP? I won my last tribunal and now 18 months later I’m facing another tribunal I’ve got to give my car back on the 7th I’ve had the car 16 months and I’m losing it surely it’s not cheaper to let clients keep the cars and not have to give a car back if they lose the case if you win then financially everyone gains???
    If you are no longer receiving the enhanced rate PIP for mobility how would you propose Motability are paid for the car if the claimant wants to keep it?
    You can't have people without the relevant award in place funding it out of their own money. If you did that everybody that would like a motability car should be given one.
    Not everybody goes to the Tribunal, many give up after the MR as they don't see the point or could not face the stress of an appeal.

It's quite black and white - get the award then you can have the car, lose the award and the car goes back.

It makes me wonder why people actually bother with renting a car from Motability. For the £265 a month that you lose in renting you could easily buy a car worth about £10,000 on finance over 5 years and have change left over to pay for the insurance, tax servicing etc.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think this has been discussed before. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to get finance on a car, which is why people have no other option but to chose motability.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    I think this has been discussed before. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to get finance on a car, which is why people have no other option but to chose motability.
    I don't agree, finance is available for almost anyone excepting undischarged bankrupts. In fact some garages offer a guarantee of getting credit.
    Also I have a friend who bought a twenty two month old Vauxhall Insignia using HP from Motability. There were no questions asked if he was good for the money. He took 4 years to pay Motability off and the car was his.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @twonker and @poppy123456 is right in saying not everyone can afford to buy one or even obtain HP

I don't know how your friend managed to obtain HP through Motability as they know longer do this, and from memory it was stopped many years ago around 2012-13

Can I get a car through Hire Purchase?

No, Hire Purchase is no longer available through the Motability Scheme. Instead we are focusing solely on our all-inclusive, worry-free Contract Hire lease package.

Find out what’s included in the lease package

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    I went bankrupt when my pain became chronic after surgery. I had been using my savings and retirement savings to pay rent, food, bills, etc. and for some private treatments. They kept telling me, "This will work", "Another few weeks". Then one day they said, "Nothing else to try. Learn to live with it". I was completely taken by surprise, and had to default on a 500GBP credit card, then move in with my parents. Over the next 11 years I lost DLA/ESA/PIP multiple times. I won it back at tribunal every time, but in the months between I had to live on loans and my overdraft, and had a few bills sent to collection. My credit rating was recovering until I lost PIP again last year. Sigh. I can't even get my overdraft increased, never mind a HP car. :P

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.