Side effects from combinations of medications — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Side effects from combinations of medications

Options
CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2019 in Coffee lounge
I wondered if anyone else has seen this in their partner
My wife takes multiple tablets for various conditions including Osteo and rheumatoid arthritis along with gabapentin and morphine.
As the day wears on she increasingly slurs her words, becomes aggreasive and If i didn't know different she appears to be drunk, she cannot walk in a straight line and frequently stumbles and I have to " walk her " if she wants to move. All of which she is totally unaware of other than maybe feeling tired.
When she is aware she does not acknowledge that she does these thing. I am both worried about her and distressed when she has an "episode"

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @CockneyRebel, that all sounds very upsetting for you both. I would either see her gp or pharmacist ASAP to see if it’s her meds that’s causing these symptoms.

If you really worried and have no joy with the above I’d either call 999 or go to a&e.

Take care 
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Thanks susan

We know that it is her meds that cause it but it usually only manifests in the evening so very difficult to get a GP opinion

Just as well that I love her, cause sometimes it is very hard not to react
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear this @CockneyRebel has your wife had an up to date review of her medication?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Yeah currently we are at the surgery every day. She has no elbow in one arm ( long story ) but she gets infections in it and has to have it redressed and the hole packed daily
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @CockneyRebel, maybe try filming the effects on your phone, if you have a camera phone, to let the doctor see.

Im sure it will be very difficult not to react, you must love her deeply 
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Thanks for that, just needed to let off some steam as it were
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @CockneyRebel this does sound upsetting for you. I have to take a couple of strong painkillers and I know there are times when I am very fuzzy headed and struggle. It definitely is worth speaking to health professionals about. It must be very tough to see your loved one like this. Best of luck and know you can let off steam here whenever you need.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness