I've had my case adjourned but I can't keep my car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've had my case adjourned but I can't keep my car

Funkimunki17
Funkimunki17 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
I went to the tribunal hearing today and sadly  it was adjourned due to lack of medical evidence and also that they wanted to get in touch with the DWP to find out why I was put on the enhanced rate of mobility. But motability aren't willing to help me out to keep my car, so I don't know what to do?

Comments

• twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Unfortunately Motability have the right to repossess the car if the payments are no longer being made.
    I am surprised that Motability have given you a lot of leeway already after the original decision made by the DWP refused you enhanced mobility. Should you win at the appeal hearing then you can go and choose another car.

• Funkimunki17
    I'm not very happy at the fact that they've allowed me to have the car for the last 12 months but now that my case has been adjourned they can't do anything more for me.
  • twonker
    I'm not very happy at the fact that they've allowed me to have the car for the last 12 months but now that my case has been adjourned they can't do anything more for me.

You were indeed extremely fortunate that they allowed you to keep the car for the last 12 months. Most Motability cars go back within weeks of the decision notice. Many claimants actually return their cars the same day that the decision notice is received. The car belongs to Motability and if no payments are being made to them then they would want the car to be sold.

Look at it another way if you had a private HP finance deal on the car you would find a car transporter taking the car away if you failed to pay more than one payment to the finance company. 

Sometimes it is better to have your own car, pay your own finance and that way it will not be removed.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Sometimes Tribunal hearings are adjourned if there's not enough evidence for them to make a decision.

Unfortunately, you will have to return your car. If the Tribunal award you Enhanced mobility then you will be able to order a new mobility car. Hopefully you won't be waiting much longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

Do you receive any mobility payment at the moment ?

We had a member recently who had their award reduced to standard but retained the car until tribunal. Enhanced was reinstated but then motorbility wanted not only the backdated difference but all the standard rate that had been paid into their account which had been used. So, not wanting to worry you but be aware of this

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Funkimunki17
    I'm not sure if I have been dropped down to the standard rate of mobility, but as far as motability are concerned they've not been paid for the last 12 months so I guess that i haven't heard of anything like that
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    What payments have you been receiving from PIP in the past twelve months? I'm actually very surprised motability have allowed you to continue to keep your car for this length of time without an award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Funkimunki17
    Apparently it was a good will gesture until I actually got my tribunal hearing date. Which took place yesterday but it was adjourned due to lack of medical evidence and also they wanted to get in touch with the DWP to find out why I was put on the enhanced rate of mobility in the first place when it was DLA
  • twonker
    Apparently it was a good will gesture until I actually got my tribunal hearing date. Which took place yesterday but it was adjourned due to lack of medical evidence and also they wanted to get in touch with the DWP to find out why I was put on the enhanced rate of mobility in the first place when it was DLA
    High rate for mobility under DLA meant that you could not walk more than 50 metres
    Enhanced rate mobility under PIP you cannot walk more than 20 metres.

So those that claimed DLA and stated that they could walk up to 50 metres and no further will have to show that their walking has deteriorated considerably if they are intending to rely on the previous DLA award to get the equivalent under PIP. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.