dual esa and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

dual esa and universal credit

Options
markyboy156
markyboy156 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
hi I need to no the following I used to be on esa with all of the premiums including severe disability premiums and was on the support group as well I also claim pip as well
I lost my esa due to my severe mental health issues pdd nos order I have 
I could not turn up to the assessments Beacause my issues causes me memory loss and can't remember to do things I suffer great anxiety and stress I have diabetic seizures and have type 2 diabetes 

I was told to sign on to universal credit while trying for my 3rd attempt with the courts with a full letter and medical reports to try and get my esa reinstated

during this time I am applying for the universal severe disability premium 

I have just put in a assessment form to apply for the premiums with a fit note as well

I have also applied for new style esa as well 
and for the premiums as well already sent form in

I lost my esa with severe disability premiums about a month a go or just over 
and I believe I paid in enough national contributions as well 
my question is if
Ifam able to claim dual esa as well as universal credit howdo they work out how much you get from both dual esa and universal credit I will be applying for the esa disability premiums as well what the ratio deduction I would lose from claiming both dual esa and universal credit
or what would you gain from claiming from both need to no asap thanks

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @markyboy156 welcome to the community. I will tag @BenefitsTrainingCo to look into this for you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    There's a lot of confusion here.

When were you found fit for work? and have you started a claim for universal credit?

Universal severe disability premium doesn't exist, i'm afraid.

New style ESA is for those that have paid enough national insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years from working. As you've been claiming ESA then you won't qualify for the New style ESA. National Insurance credits you were receiving while claiming ESA count towards your state pension only, they won't entitle you to claim New style ESA.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you've put in an assessment form for the premiums". The premiums you were claiming on ESA don't exist on UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @markyboy156 It sounds to me like you have claimed Universal Credit.  If you have I am afraid you cannot return to ESA.  It is still worth pursuing an appeal as any arrears will be paid to you if you win (minus any money you have had from UC of course).  If the tribunal agree you are not fit for work, this decision will also carry over into your Universal Credit claim.  It is very confusing I know, I would suggest you go and see an advice centre local to you and show them your letters and discuss what you have done so they can properly advise you.  Best wishes, Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.