Claiming PIP as a carer — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Claiming PIP as a carer

Seb
Seb Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Iv been waiting, from july18, for my appeal, also on my letter I got, it says on every page, I get careers for my brother and to ckeck it, yes I do but I asked carers before I claimed it I phoned and told them I'm disabled myself and was I OK to claim, I see him every day, spend alot of time with I'm, and sit outside bathroom every day wen he shoo, to make sure he doesn't fall, we go out on or mobility scooter as we both suffer anxiety and stress, so it helps us, the carers told me I'm OK with that as the don't judge or penalised people,but I feel they saying I must b ok cus I care for him, y would she put on every page they should check that I get it, wen iv been told careing for someone, doesn't mean, cooking, cleaning, bathing  or housework, as long as u there for them 35a week, witch I am at his or with him more than that

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Seb Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I am unsure of an answer to your question. I know we have members of our team or members of our community be able to answer to you.

One suggestion is to speak to CAB. They may be able to answer any questions you have.

They have expertise and knowledge on benefit enquiries.

Please have a look around our website for anything further.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @Seb have you been in touch with you local CAB about this?

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,826 Scope online community team
    Hi @Seb is your appeal for PIP? I'm not sure why they've put that on every page. However, claiming Carer's Allowance shouldn't prevent you from claiming PIP yourself. There's some information here on CarersUK that might help you.
    I hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Seb
    Yes it for my pip, thank u
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    At the moment the fact that PIP claimants are also claiming carers allowance is flavour of the month with the assessment and decision making process. Whilst the two benefits can be paid the point is that there will always be doubts. It used to be normal practice a year or two ago to claim anything and everything to maximise your benefit income. The fact that you do not need to produce any evidence as to the caring role you have used to mean no one is ever going to check whether you should be getting it.
    The fact that you drive a car is also being used to deny PIP.
  • Seb

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.