Peripheral neuropathy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Peripheral neuropathy

kevans
kevans Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I have chronic pain and poor mobility following a life changing broken right leg 9 years ago and then  11 surgeries. I rely on crutches and a mobility scooter.
Now I have been diagnosed with Peripheral neuropathy in my left leg and at a follow up have drop foot aswell. The Consultant is very concerned and has said I will lose the ability to use my left leg. Now I am waiting for an mri and have added another medication to the concoction I already take. I would appreciate advise on how to manage this or your experiences. I also have depression and since Monday I am concious how this is affecting my mood.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @kevans I am sorry to hear this, how are you doing today?

You may find this page on the NHS website about Peripheral neuropathy useful and please get in touch with your GP if you are worried about your mental health. I hope everything goes well with you MRI scan, please keep us updated and if you have any questions, do let us know :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @kevans, how are you feeling today? Have you been sent a date for your MRI? In terms of managing your pain, you might want to check out Action On Pain.
    Keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on.
    Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    kevans said:
    I have chronic pain and poor mobility following a life changing broken right leg 9 years ago and then  11 surgeries. I rely on crutches and a mobility scooter.
    Now I have been diagnosed with Peripheral neuropathy in my left leg and at a follow up have drop foot aswell. The Consultant is very concerned and has said I will lose the ability to use my left leg. Now I am waiting for an mri and have added another medication to the concoction I already take. I would appreciate advise on how to manage this or your experiences. I also have depression and since Monday I am concious how this is affecting my mood.
    Hi @kevans.Is it HNPP that you have been diagnosed with? I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. If it is HNPP then it can affect people in different ways. I have the palsy more on my left side. It affects. mainly my hands, fingers, left foot and leg.  I have pains in my legs and ankles. I need a walking stick and can only walk a short distance BUT, I also have arthritis, so there is pain with that too. I have two sisters with HNPP and one of my sisters can walk about and goes on holiday etc. My other sister has to use a mobility scooter.
    If you are on Facebook, there is a brilliant group on there called, HNPP,HMSN and CMT SUPPORT. You will be able to find out all you need to know. It is run by a fantastic group of people.
    Good luck and I hope that you can find out more info.
    Cazann xx
  • CJM
    CJM Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Have any of you tried SCENAR therapy for pain relief. I've found it really good for pain relief and also boosting energy levels and mood. Crudely put It works by finding areas of inbalance and then uses bio-feedback and electrical impulses to kick start you bodies own healing mechanisms. But whatever the mechanism it does work.  iI'd suggest finding a therapist in your area for an initial consultation and take it from there.

Brightness