Can i apply for benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can i apply for benefits?

Options
tellyaddict61
tellyaddict61 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have recently been diagnosed with plantar fascitis, it's so painful, I need to cut my working hours but I don't know what or if I can apply for benefits to help, it's come as quite a shock, as I have always be so active, I think I'm also starting to suffer from depression too.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @tellyaddict61 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, you may find our benefits calculator useful. Let us know if we can help you further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @tellyaddict61
    There is some information about Plantar fascitis here. They say:

How is plantar fasciitis treated after 72 hours?

In most cases plantar fasciitis will get better by itself but it can take several months or more to go. There are a number of things that you can try to speed up your recovery and these are described below:

Rest and Exercise

Rest your foot as much as possible, avoid running, excessive walking and long periods of standing. However do perform the specific exercises below at least twice per day:

1. Stand facing a wall and step backwards with your injured leg.

Rest and Exercise - Step 1

Keep this leg straight with your toes pointing forward and the heel on the floor.

Now bend your other knee until you feel a stretch in the calf of your injured leg. Hold this for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times per day.

2. From the position above move your injured leg forward but keep it slightly behind your other leg.

Rest and Exercise - Step 2

Ensure that your toes point forward and bend both knees, keeping the heel of your injured leg on the floor.

You should feel a stretch in the calf of your injured leg. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times per day.

3. Stand facing a step and place the toes of both feet on to it, letting your heels hang over the edge.

Rest and Exercise - Step 3

Hold on to something solid for support. Lower your heels, keeping your knee straight and feel the stretch in your calves.

Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat twice each session.

4. Sit on a chair with your knees bent at right angles and your feet flat on the floor. Lift your toes upwards, keeping your heel on the floor and feel the stretch along the bottom of the foot. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat 3 times each session.

5. Using a round drinks bottle that has been chilled in the freezer, sit on a chair and place the bottle under the arch of your foot. Roll your foot forwards and backwards over the bottle for five minutes.

To ensure that you do not receive a skin burn please follow the advice, in the previous section, regarding the application of ice.

Footwear

Wear supportive shoes and avoid going barefoot, wearing slippers, flip flops or backless shoes. Ill fitting and worn shoes should also be avoided as they; do not support the foot, have reduced shock absorbance and may lead to increase strain on the plantar fascia.

Pain Relief

To manage your pain it is advised that you regularly take simple painkillers which can be brought cheaply over the counter from your pharmacist. If you have allergies or conditions which prevent the use of painkilling or anti-inflammatory medication, please seek advice from your GP or a pharmacist.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • tellyaddict61
    Options
    Thank you for these extra excercises, I changed my routine slightly and added the ones I felt were better at stretching on the sore and tight tendons, along with the correct insoles for my footwear I have noticed a great improvement in the past 24 hours. Today when I got up I was able to almost walk normally.
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    I can vouch for the fact that those excercises will help.  I had it last year and whilst it is undoubtedly painful it is not actually a disability as it is almost always very temporary.  So you wouldn't be able to claim much I doubt, apart from sick pay if you had to be off work for any length of time.
  • tellyaddict61
    Options
    Yes thank you, 24 hours ago I thought I was never going to get any ease from the pain, I have been in pain since early January, I only went to the doctor because I couldn't cope with the pain anymore with the over the counter pain relief, the excercises I had been given were not sufficient, the help I have been given from scope has made a great improvement, I sincerely hope that it lasts, I hate being like this.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.