Rhino skin and Duck feathers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rhino skin and Duck feathers

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
OK, so what is that daft **** on about now you may ask.

There are unfortunately people in this world that think it is okay to make fun of disabled people. They don't see us as human, some ignore us while others are abusive and threatening.
It is not right and should not be allowed but what can we do about it ?
One of my coping mechanisms has been to develope a thick Rhino skin, there is littleIi can do to stop it but reacting to it can quickly escalate the situation so my rhino skin just lets these things bounce of me, and the duck feathers let it roll off  like water off a ducks back

What coping mechanisms do you use if confronted with a bad situation ?
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    @CockneyRebel,  I thought I was in for a new recipe idea when I first read the title of your post! LOL

Personally, in answering your question, it depends what kind of mood I am in and when/where any such comments are made to me. I don't take kindly to 'verbal abuse' of any kind either against myself as a disabled person, or my Son who has autism. 9/10 I will make the abuser look smaller and name & shame them in situ, as most other people present will rightfully look at the 'abuser' in disgust and will treat them accordingly on my behalf.   
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    It's the 21st centry how much longer are thugs going to be allowed to abuse disabled people.
    Man in wheelchair on bus. Women gets on with pram tells disabled msn (while ramming his wheelchair) to shift your f........rubbish.
    Bus driver had no intention of stopping attack til I told him im putting him on net. Then he chuck women off.
    Attacking disabled people should be treated the same as hate crime against colour or jews or gays..
    MPs should be doing something to stop hate crime against  disabled people.
    Cowards should go to jail
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello to all you disabled people who are getting verbal or hopefully not physically abused, I have never seen or had it happen to me but , people have and are helpful in and around where I live and travel. Maybe we are the problem keeping ourselves isolated from the rest of society not getting involved. Many of us who lived active and involved lives then for what ever the reasons are disabled either try and stay involved or shut ourselves away out of shame, guilt or the feeling of not being accepted within our formal peer groups or community. Conversations are a two way activitiey and if you refuse to respond and participate then you will soon build a wall and remove the connecting bridge.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @CockneyRebel Thank you for sharing.

Having experienced this before many times. I understand the need to say something but there again is that the right thing to do.

Hate confrontational and rudeness from any one who consider making comments about my disability.

Even the attitude of some one so negative who feels being a bullying tactic is the right way to demean the disabled.

Because I look different.

Usually find myself walking away.

They themselves are looking small.

I would call some one any one last time. The hate crime unit.  My local Police. 

Is that the right answer?

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness