How long did you have to wait? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long did you have to wait?

Nools
Nools Community member Posts: 21 Listener
Hello,

I am currently on the assessment stage of esa. The problem is I have been waiting for nearly two years for my wca, I previously thought it was 18 months but having phoned to check today it's closer to two years.

What can I do about this? I have phoned them only to be told either 'backlogs' are the cause or that they also thought it was strange and that they would sort it out for me, but they never did. It just seems out of the ordinary and I would really like to get it over and done with.

Does anyone have any input?

Thankyou.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That's an absolutely insane amount of time to wait. Yes, there's backlogs but not to that extent. Have you ever filled out an ESA50 form? if so when was the last time you did this? If it was quite sometime ago then i'd request another one to be sent to you.

If it was me i'd also contact my local MP and tell him/her how long you've been waiting, hopefully they will get them shifting. Use this link to contact you local MP.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nools
    Hello,

thanks for your reply.

I have never been sent any forms to fill in. I applied over the phone and other than three monthly letters to request medical certificates and me calling them every so often to inquire about my wca, that's the only contact I've had with them. I also don't know what an esa50 form is. Should I ask for them to send me one?

I will contact my mp tomorrow, she is very good so hopefully, I'll get some help.

Thanks again, I thought it was ridiculous, but the lady today had me second guessing myself.

• Nools
    Hello again,

sorry just reread your comment. I'll call them tomorrow and request an esa50 form.

Thank you :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. The ESA50 form is the work capability assessment form. When you receive this, you need to fill it in with as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Make sure you send evidence to support your claim with the form because they very rarely contact anyone for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Why do you want to be assessed? If you get ESA as it stands and you fail the WCA, benefit stops.
  • Nools
    Hello,

I just hate waiting for it, it has me worrying all the time and I hate it. Also, id never considered it that way lol.
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Nools said:
    Hello,

I just hate waiting for it, it has me worrying all the time and I hate it. Also, id never considered it that way lol.

Well that's the way I look at it, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush as they say. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.