Advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice please

traintraveller
traintraveller Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello all
My son is 18 , he has been getting pip since age 16 when transferred over from dla when he went onto pip we ticked box for money to come into my account as he did not have account and I managed money . He then applied when 17 and was granted esa income we opened him an account and that money goes to him. We recently have had review of his pip due to new tribunal decision and he is due payment of over £6000 , he has money in his own account of just under £1000 and from his pip money I have nothing left each month as this goes on food , clothing , his phone etc 
my question is will this payment from pip be disregarded as capital as it is over £5000 and was due to error on dep part ? When it is paid it will be paid to my account . There are things he does need like new computer , headphones etc can we use this money to get those for him ? Do I need to keep records of everything ? 
Thank you for any advice 

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    You should be able to get whatever he needs pip is money for to help him so should be able to use it as want 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The money was, is owed to your son's PIP award. And as it is a back payment you can use it for your son's extra daily living needs and wull not affect your son's ESA as they are two different benefits not related in any way 
  • traintraveller
    Thank you both for your replies , they are much appreciated .
  • Dotty123
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    The backdated money is disregarded for 12 months for means tested benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • traintraveller
    Thanks Poppy , do I still need to let esa know of the payment or will they already have the details? Also I assume it’s ok to carry on as we are with me paying for things for him from the pip that comes into my account ? He still lives at home as unable to live independently, so is it ok to use money for things such as new cooker etc that he will also have benefit of ? 
    We have been really struggling to make ends meet and this will help a lot to allow us to finally get a better standard of life for him . 
  • Dotty123
    Yes you can it’s your money 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    It's your son's money because he's now an adult by law but there's nothing stopping you using it for things that will help you all out as a family.

I'm my daughters appointee and she claims PIP. She's also 18 and still lives with me at home. She has a phone contract, netflix account, limitless cinema card and a few other things that she pays for herself. I make sure those are paid each month and then transfer the rest to her. I manage her money for her because she's unable to do it herself. If something new for the home is needed, i'll ask her to contribute and she never has a problem with this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.