Struggling with PIP. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with PIP.

Options
SparkyMarkie
SparkyMarkie Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited March 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, hope you are all well. Just hoping someone can help me or give advice about PIP as I'm beginning to come to the end of my tether!

So... My partner was in receipt of DLA for about 20 years. He had the letter late last year to apply and go over to PIP. We have applied, been to the face to face and he has been refused and awarded 0 points! He has a learning disability, he cant read or write and finds it hard to understand, communicate with professionals, making phone calls writing letters filling out forms and reading is all left to me, as well as everyday things, like cooking his meals, helping him make decisions, managing all the budgeting needs etc etc. Basically if I wasn't with him I don't know where he would be. Its all left down to me to try and sort everything out, he doesn't have any support workers anymore as they took it off him due to 'cut backs'. I think its because I moved in with him and they have left everything to me. Is this one of the reasons they scored him 0 points? due to not having support workers? Did they not take into consideration about his reading and writing after I filled out the forms went to the face to face with him and help him answer questions he didn't understand? It was written in the decision that he could read and write, he could cook meals himself because he answered to the assessor that he had 2 meals a day? Not who cooked and prepared them! There are several questions in this context that were asked another was if he knew what a £5 note was he said yes, they have presumed he can take care of all his budgeting decisions. Its made me angry as its made out we are lieing! I just really don't know what to do. I have started the ball rolling with the Mandatory Reconsideration. But expecting it to go further to the tribunal stage. Will a statement from me be ok? One from and old support worker? One from his Dad? and possibly a letter from his GP?.... I just didn't know where else to turn. I am sorry if this doesn't make sense at any point or its long winded but I hope someone somewhere can give me some advice? Thanks, Mark.

Comments

• SparkyMarkie
    Options
    I'm new here. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks in advance!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SparkyMarkie and welcome

Unfortunately DLA and PIP have different criteria, and a DLA award is no guarantee that your partner will meet the criteria for PIP.
    PIP is not about condition, diagnosis or illness but about how you manage dailly activities.
    Have a look at the PIP descriptors and the self test to see if your partner might meet the criteria for an award
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • SparkyMarkie
    Options
    Hi @CockneyRebel Yes I understand this. We have already been through that. His learning difficulties mean that he struggles with everyday tasks on a daily basis. I'm thinking because I am there to do everything on his behalf thats why they have made they're decision. Cooking a meal for example; he cant cook or prepare a simple meal, he doesn't understand timings, temperatures, can't read cooking instructions, doesn't understand how the cooker works, therefore I cook for him. If I didn't he wouldn't eat a proper meal. Isn't that the 'how it affects him' criteria? Most of the questions we're answered on the form in that manor relating to the topic, but its been ignored? Did I not fill the initial form out right? I'm just struggling to understand. Sorry to blab on!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi SparkyMarkie

Testamonials from anyone that knows your partner well can be submitted.
    I know some of our other members will be able to offer advice, one thing to stress is that your partner cannot do these things just because you do everything might be seen as a choice as opposed to a necessity
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Your next step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) you should put this in writing stating where you think he should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2/3 examples of what happened the last time he attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to him.

This guide will help you have a better understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

Did you send evidence to support his claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this. If you didn't send it then i'd advise you to send it with the MR request letter.

Most MR decisions remain the same and you'll most likely end up taking it to Tribunal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • SparkyMarkie
    Options
    @CockneyRebel Thanks for that. I am planning to get a testimonial from his old support worker who knows him very well and his dad. I understand as well that it may come across that I do everything because of a choice but not a necessity but that isn't the case. I try and let him be as independent as possible but its hard. He gets frustrated with himself too. 

@poppy123456 I rang them to request the MR I stated to them I would be sending evidence and letters to them though and they have said I need to send it all within a month so I am going to do that. It was a pretty rushed process to be honest, after I had sent the form back. Got an appointment for the F2F assessment by text, 5 days before, didn't receive any letters until after the appointment  about directions etc so I had to source them myself. I did ring and they said it was because of a cancellation so they squeezed him in. The F2F then only lasted approx 20 minutes it was so very quick. I am going to keep going with it. 
  • SparkyMarkie
    Options
    Another thing was they stated in his decision letter they had seen his medical history. I asked them over the phone what medical history they had for him and they said none. That confused me, because how can they state they had seen his medical history and then not have anything on the system to say they had? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You really should put the request in writing as previously advised. By requesting it over the phone the DWP could say you never requested it.

If it does get to Tribunal stage then appearing in person will give him the best chance of a decision in his favour. Please read the link i posted above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Another thing was they stated in his decision letter they had seen his medical history. I asked them over the phone what medical history they had for him and they said none. That confused me, because how can they state they had seen his medical history and then not have anything on the system to say they had? 
    By that, they usually mean medical history as relayed to them (by him) at the assessment - his history of conditions, treatments, medication etc
  • SparkyMarkie
    Options
    @poppy123456 I did receive a text message to say I have asked them to look at the claim again shortly after the phone call to them. But yes I am defiantly still going to send it in writing along with further evidence too. Thanks.

@Fetlock Ok. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.