Jobs for people with osteoarthritis in knees and ankles — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Jobs for people with osteoarthritis in knees and ankles

Options
john1962
john1962 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in Work and employment
Hello everybody .I new to this , I have osteoarthritis in my knees and ankles and would like to know what type of jobs I would be suitable for somebody with my illness

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @john1962 welcome to the community! You may like to check out the following sections
    Let us know how you get on with these resources and if you need any further help :)

Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @john1962
    Welcome to the community, Ami  has shared some great links here.

What would you like to do for work? Are there any areas that you have an interest in? 

Versus Arthritis have some great information about work, they say:

The right kind of work is good for you, and not just financially, it can also provide a sense of purpose, identity, achievement and a supportive social network.
    It's much more difficult getting back into work if you're unemployed, and being unemployed has been proven to be bad for people's emotional and physical health and wellbeing.
    If you have arthritis or joint pain, your condition may pose some challenges which could make your working life harder. However, work is certainly feasible for most people with arthritis or a related condition.
    You have options and rights, and it's important to understand and explore fully what they are, so that you get the right support you are entitled to, which can help you do your job to the best of your ability and help you manage your condition.
    We've worked closely with people with arthritis and related conditions, as well as leading healthcare professionals to put together the information in these pages. We hope that this advice can help you to not only survive in the workplace, but to thrive in your career.

Head over to their website for a huge amount of information and support around arthritis and work.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ren_Scope
    Ren_Scope Scope Posts: 24 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @john1962,
    Welcome to the community!
    There are many different roles which may be suitable for someone with osteoarthritis, but this will also depend on what skill set you already have.  The Support to Work Team will be able to support you to identify your transferable skills and tailor your job search accordingly. 

The link below will take you to the Support to Work page, get in touch with us and an Advisor will discuss your options with you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work

Best of luck!
    Ren
    Ren
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness