Pip reviews on pensioners — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip reviews on pensioners

zany
zany Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Does anyone know when it will come into effect.?
For pensioners with disabilities  will not need to have reviews every year. instead will b every ten years ?!

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    I am 68 but until they force assessors to be 100% honest I wouldn't want an unjust reward for 10 years. At least with the 3 years given to me in 2017 I get another chance to have a better assessment next year.   
  • zany
    edited March 2019
  • zany
  • zany
  • zany
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    wildlife said:
    I am 68 but until they force assessors to be 100% honest I wouldn't want an unjust reward for 10 years. At least with the 3 years given to me in 2017 I get another chance to have a better assessment next year.   
    I have looked into this for a good friend who like you is over pension age and has asked me if I know the answer.
    The statement telling us about this 10 year award also says that if at any time during that 10 year period you want the DWP to look at your award again you can do so. From what I read it is to be 10 years but if you want to you can make it much shorter.
  • zany
    Yes but what I keep asking is when is it coming into force does anyone no???
  • twonker
    zany said:
    Yes but what I keep asking is when is it coming into force does anyone no???
    And as I have already said, it will come in when it becomes part of the PIP regulations. When and if that actually happens is anybody's guess.
    By way of note this 10 year offer is already in place for most pensioners in any event. Not many pensioners have an award of less that 10 years provided that they have enhanced for both components and that the impact of their disabilities is stable and will not improve. Assessors have been for a while recommending such awards to the DWP for the last year.

Looking at it logically, if a pensioner has an award of standard mobility and there is the distinct possibility that their mobility issues would improve beit through medication, physiotherapy or just learning to live with the issues then you would not expect the DWP to give a 10 year award? Much shorter awards would be more suitable. 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @zany The answer to your question is no-one knows. As @Twanker says do we really want this. The one he/she left out is a pensioner who has standard Daily Living but the assessor can see their condition getting worse within a shorter period of time than 10 years therefore another assessment would be needed. Either that or they will have passed to the great beyond. 10 years is only suitable for the cases already mentioned who are stable with no chance of improvement and they would be few and far between within this age group. Another thought is that relatives may try and continue receiving the benefit especially if they are the appointee of the claimant and/or have power of atourny after the person has died. Can't get my head around how they would do this but some may be tempted to try. 
  • twonker
    wildlife said:
    Another thought is that relatives may try and continue receiving the benefit especially if they are the appointee of the claimant and/or have power of atourny after the person has died. Can't get my head around how they would do this but some may be tempted to try. 
    Relatives of the dead sometimes do abuse the system. One in particular was the continued use of a Blue Badge for just over one year by the son and daughter-in-law after mum had died! Knowing their mum had died and seeing the son's car in the town bearing a Blue Badge I photographed the various incidents as well as the son getting in and out of the car. Eventually the badge must have been confiscated as it was still 'in date' and never used again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.