pip allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip allowance

Options
KaySarah
KaySarah Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I applied for pip allowance last year August they said they were going to pay me. Then underneath it said they couldn't.

I got a letter earlier this week from pip saying that they will increase my money from the 8th April 2019. 

Does that mean that they are going to pay me? 

I'm not too sure... 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @KaySarah

For clarification, it is best that you contact PIP on their helpline 0800 121 4433

Keep us updated and let us know if you have any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • KaySarah
    KaySarah Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I called them this morning they said they changed my money. 

But I won't be able to get paid because I am in hospital. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    KaySarah said:
    I called them this morning they said they changed my money. 

But I won't be able to get paid because I am in hospital. 
    Obviously. Your care is being provided for and out of the NHS budget. With PIP which is awarded for the extra costs of providing that care, you would have no additional expense as you are effectively being given the appropriate care for free.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @KaySarah, that is correct. After being in hospital for over 28 days PIP is stopped but is usually reinstated once you leave hospital. You can read more information about this on the Turn2us website: Benefits that stop being paid if you go into hospital and I've quoted the most relevant information below.

"If you are aged 18 or over, payments of Disability Living Allowance (DLA),  Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Attendance Allowance (AA) you get will stop after you have been in hospital for 28 days.  If you are under 18 on the day you enter hospital, your DLA or PIP payments will not stop.

If your DLA, PIP or AA payments stop, they will be paid again as soon as you come out of hospital. If you come out of hospital, but have to go back in within 28 days your benefit will stop again as soon as you become a patient.  

If you were living in a care home before going into hospital and payment of DLA care component, PIP daily living component or AA had stopped, you will not be paid when you go into hospital. Also, after 28 days in hospital payment of the mobility component of DLA or PIP will stop.   

If you get the mobility component of DLA or PIP and are using it to buy a car under the Motability scheme; if you lose your DLA or PIP during your lease, arrangements will be made for the return of the car. However, you will only pay the cost of the lease until the car is returned, not for the remaining length of the lease. If you paid an Advance Payment, this will be refunded to you on a pro rata basis (i.e. to cover the period you are in hospital).  Motability should not seek to recover your vehicle for up to 28 days (or longer where they exercise discretion)."
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.