PIP assessor - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessor

Options
2»

Comments

• Freddy67
    Freddy67 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear that @Wilma23 :( I thought the same thing about the forums but it's not coming across that way.

@Waylay that's a very good point you make about people who act like they are fine, as the saying goes, never judge a book by it's cover.
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    Isn't it helpful to know that an assessor may take a certain view on meds?  

If you have a condition which would normally be treated by medication, but you are unable to take that medication, or the meds don't work for you, then it would be wise to explain that on the application form.
  • Freddy67
    Freddy67 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    Options
    I doubt people really think about explaining why they can't take a medication, I know I wouldn't if I was filling out a form, if I was on meds then I would obviously explain what I'm on and their side effects.

• Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Options
    But it would make sense to do so if you are in severe pain and can't take painkillers, for whatever reason.
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    One problem with normal people going to F2F assessments has been explained, its how you present yourself and how the assessor views your actions, an example if you take a load of medicine for various aliments, then say you attend something in a short time, its viewed as minor, they need to know you take pain relief, and how long it takes to function, they need to see what you take and how long the effect lasts after taking it.

It seems harsh but its true, when I had a F2F there was a couple, one pushing the wheelchair, making a bit of a fuss going in, fair enough, but watching them go out she stood up and walked to the car, sadly it happens and we all get tarred by their actions.

I could not do the job, I would probably accept every story given, there is a post in the forums by someone who had a lucky break with a good assessor and little evidence to support the claim, its rare most go the other way, no matter what you suffer from its what mood the assessor is in on the day.

You can have mountains of evidence which can be tossed aside and ignored should they feel like it, going to the CAB might be an option, if your medication is severe perhaps try asking for help when going to the pain clinic if you have one.

Sadly Doctors letter carry very little weight now, even hospital letters with your problems explained may not be enough.

At least the DWP have now dropped the 80% target from rejecting reconsideration even though they say it was not a target, using the term “essentially an aspiration” does not hide the fact they pretty much just ignored MR requests.

If anyone want to read up on it have a look at PIP and ESA Assessments inquiry Reports published on 9 and 14 February 2018. Government response published on 18 April 2018.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hello @Wilma23, I'm sorry to read about your experiences. As both Sam and Poppy have advised, if you choose to try to adjust your claim you should be mindful of the descriptors and how your worsening condition affects your daily life.
    If you have any other questions (or need more advice) please don't hesitate to ask.

[This discussion has been closed.]
    Community Manager
    Scope
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.