Child benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child benefit

pigeon55
pigeon55 Community member Posts: 116 Courageous
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
We are due shortly to have our child benifit stopped. Uc has found me unfit for work my wife works over the permitted hours. How will this affect our child benifit loss.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @pigeon55 thank you for sharing this with us. You may want to contact you local CAB or DWP.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @pigeon55, would you be able to tell us the reason for your child benefit stopping? Is it because of income or because the child you're claiming for has left education/is no longer eligible?
    With the exception of some Council Tax Support Schemes, means-tested benefits ignore Child Benefit so no longer being in receipt wouldn't effect your UC (unless you're currently benefit capped). Would you be able to give us a little more information?

Community Manager
    Scope
  • pigeon55
    She has left education for part time employment and no longer entitled. Was just wondering how this affects the amount shower in my monthly uc benifit payment. 
    Regards 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @pigeon55, it depends on her age. If she's 16-19, were you getting an additional amount of UC for her being in full-time education? (Not everyone does.) If so, you'll no longer receive this. If she's under 21, her income won't be taken into account and your UC won't change. If she's over 21, you'll receive a flat rate contribution deduction of £73.89 a month from your UC.

I hope I answered your question, but if I've not understood it correctly, just let me know!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pigeon55
    Thanks for your reply. My uc benifit is paid as I was found not fit for work at my assessment so I recive that uc benifit. My daughter finishes full time education in June. My wife's income is to much for us to recive any benifit from her.
    I also get mid rate pip.
    Regards.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.