Im just feeling down alot because I cant do much due to my health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Im just feeling down alot because I cant do much due to my health

sarahdobson89
sarahdobson89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone
Im Sarah, I used to be a very happy, bubbly, out going person but since I've become permanently ill Im the opposite of what I used to be..
Im not even 30 and I feel like im physically and mentally 80+...
I have PTSD, Fibromyalgia, M.E and severe depression and anxiety
Im just feeling down alot because I cant do much due to my health, I cant do simple tasts around the house and even have to rely on a wheelchair all the time im out x

Comments

• MickConnon
    MickConnon Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    Hi Sarah, so sorry to hear what you’re going through at present. Some people say that physical and mental health are not connected but I have seen it so many times to prove otherwise. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarahdobson89 welcome to the community! 

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling low, I understand how you feel as my life began to turn upside down at 22. It is incredibly difficult ult to come to terms with out conditions and illnesses. It is a long and emotional process but eventually we do accept what has happened.

If you need to talk, we are here for you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sarahdobson89
    I am sorry to hear you are struggling, lots of our members have talked about that feeling of having to find out who they are again after becoming disabled and we understand it can be tough. I am glad you have joined us here on the community and I hope chatting with other members will help you.

Have you spoken to anyone about your feelings? If you are finding it hard, you could speak to your GP.

I look forward to chatting with you more soon :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @sarahdobson89 welcome to community :)  how are you doing today?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019

Hello @sarahdobson89 Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for sharing with the community.

Sorry to hear this. I am one of the community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

I know it is difficult to deal with day to day.  I have a mental health and physical disability.

Every day can be a struggle. Understand I think what is important is finding some support for yourself.

You have come to the right place for all of that. Advice, information and some friendship.

I would advise if I can speak to your GP speak and see how they can help.

I know that with your mental health is finding the strength and courage to deal with that every time.

I know what helped me is seeking some support and advice with my mental health.

I use mental health charities . Used this one last time. They do accept people with disabilities as well as mental health issues.

It is making the first steps. Hope that helps.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

To give you reassurance.

They may offer floating support an outreach worker. Advice, guidance on your wellbeing and additional support. In benefits and other aspects of care.  Also sign posting to relevant support.

Some thing to consider.

Please I hope if you need to talk. We as a community are here to listen, be supportive.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • sarahdobson89
    sarahdobson89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you all for your comments, im feeling abit better today but still fed up of this life, i guess ill never be happy with this life now because of how much I want to do but simply cant because of my illnesses
    but im not feeling as low as I was the other day which is good :) xx
  • Tonypiano777
    Tonypiano777 Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Hi Sarah. 

Stick around Sarah , as people are here to help. ?

My youngest brother had PTST  and i and cared  For him for a few months (he had to come and live with me) this was following my fathers passing away (suddenly) he's much better now though, after professional help from psychological etc.  And as mick above says, the mind and physical are so connected.  Its cant be easy for you, I know, but try remembering those days you were “bubbly” and “re-invite. Them” as it were. 

I’m glad your not feeling as low today. And that little smile ? is cheerful 

@Tonypiano777
  • MickConnon
    MickConnon Community member Posts: 56 Courageous
    HI @Tonypiano777 really like your post btw, especially the fact we are all here to help. @sarahdobson89 I have been reading up tonight on your post and like the fact that you have felt better which shows some positive movement. Is because the weather was okay over the last few days as an example? I would be interested to know what you think has been good over the last few days? am not trying to catch you out btw. only build positivity with you :-)
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hello, Sarah, 

As you can see from my post about feeling lonely , I can well understand your pain. When I became disabled 
     ... I have both psychiatric and physical disability (the recent physical ones just about stopped my daily life and changed me into someone I did not know), I lost the self I had been.

I am helped by your post and the posts responding to yoju. I feel a bit less alone.  Thank you for sharing your reality.

Sending you good wishes.

Cracker
  • tigerlilylady
    tigerlilylady Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Sarah, I'm so sorry to hear that you're down and lonely, this is an awful way to feel. I'm sure so many of us can empathise with you and feel much the same way as you do. Your health and disability will most definitely be affecting your mental health worse. Just to explain, I'm a woman 52 with a severe neurological disorder and osteoarthritis, this all began when I was 18. I miss being able to go out on my own, without having to get my hubby to take me out. As friends and family are working, I'm alone all day long. My hubby is my carer and also works full time, amazing considering he's in remission from leukaemia and still suffers every day. He just needs to work, as being at home non stop would make him depressed, which I'm sure we all understand? ? Feel free to message me if you need someone to listen to you. I've only been here since yesterday and can tell you everyone is so friendly and helpful. I hope that today is a good day, compared to really bad days. Take care of yourself and know you needn't be alone any longer. ??
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @sarahdobson89 How are you today. See the posts every one has sent to you.

We all care and share.

Please I know this is difficult, painful and not easy to deal with day to day.

Even my good self love and like supporting you all . As a community champion have had bad days.

Understand yourself and how this illness is causing problems is the first steps to what they the mental health teams call recovery.

Please give this charity I gave you a try.

I used this one.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

You can self refer either by phone or Email or seek the Doctor to refer you.

I know this is hard. We as a community are here every day to help, guide, advise be supportive every day or night.

I would suggest make on a sheet of paper what you want from any welfare or mental health support. Because they will ask you.

Please take a deep breath small steps one day at a time.

We are here to listen.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness