Everyone on our community and their wellbeing is important to us — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Everyone on our community and their wellbeing is important to us

Deb_Alumni
Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Our community is a place for a good chat, and we know that some conversations are challenging and diverse.

Every day the community team at Scope expect to read different, funny, knowledgeable and challenging posts from all of our members which reflect our disabled customers and their families.  Many of you are using our community to find information, join discussions and share tips on employment, parenting, equipment, care and of course last but not least disability allowances.

Out of all these topics it will come as no surprise to you all that disability allowances and money are the most complex of posts.  Many comments are posted at a time when the member may be dealing with a mixture of emotions such as anger, frustration, sadness, anxiety, stress and disappointment as well as times when they may have had success, happiness and be feeling relief.  It is therefore not surprising that some of the forum conversations can become or feel very personal, because let’s face it, it is very personal to each and every-one of you.

The community team are aware that often emotions regularly run high which can lead to some conversations being misread, people being misquoted and advice being given to individuals personally, when the response could be answering a much wider audience.

This is really a reminder that our aim is always to offer a safe and supportive place to every-one and to that end we have provided some mindfulness thoughts for you to consider when using our community

• Before you respond to a post think
    • Am I feeling preoccupied, anxious, inadequate, physically uncomfortable and tired; are you making assumptions?
    • Do you feel a strong urge to give advice, find solutions, rescue, reassure, and to want to ‘fix it’ for the other person, so that they feel better?
    • Are you looking at the post from your point of view, not the other person?

Often, just being available and showing you are listening is all the support that people need.

Using empathy is key to a supportive community, no-one is expected to have all the answers, but a kind post that shows you are hearing a member’s problems and that you care goes such a long way.

Sympathy vs Empathy

Empathy is the ability to experience the feelings of another person.

It goes beyond sympathy, which is caring and understanding for the suffering of others.

Your emotional health is so important to us and if you are personally having a difficult time, then you may negatively impact your own emotional health by trying to take on the problems of others.

Be sure to take a break, move away from any posts that are triggers for you and let the community team know if we can help in any way.

Debbie
Online Community Manager

Comments

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Very well said Deb
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    This is a wonderful and really lovely and kind and thoughtful post. It’s made me think about how I might react in the future. Thank you
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 31 Connected
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for this @Apolloesque and I'm glad it made you feel safe. I'm sorry your past experiences have not reflected this, I imagine this has been difficult to manage. The community does strive to be a supportive network, so please do let us know if you do not feel this is the case.
    Scope

• Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    Hi @Apolloesque
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our post.  I am certain that you will find our community a safe and supportive space for you.  I am very pleased that our words have made you feel safe. 
    Best wishes
    Debbie
    Debbie
    Online Community Manager

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.