Autistic Child higher rate care and mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic Child higher rate care and mobility

Adam7985
Adam7985 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi, i’m new here, just had a query, my son is 6yo and was diagnosed with asd over 3 years ago, he recieves middle rate care, as he is getting older he is becoming more challenging, for example he will not go asleep till 12 every night and often wakes up early, he has no road safety and will escape from his car seat and wind the window down and jump out the car when my wife goes the shops, i have to leave my younger kids and sprint after him ( he is so fast now), he has lots of other issues.
Do you think it would be worth me trying again for higher rate care or mobilty?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Adam7985, welcome to the community, you may get higher rate care and it would be wise to seek one to one professional advice on this issue as for the mobility part your son will be claiming DLA and the rules for claiming are different than those of PIP regarding the mobility criteria so again seek advice and get to know what the criteria is for claiming all the elements of DLA.
  • Adam7985
    Sorry to be pain, when you say professional advice do you have any idea who I should contact?
    thanks
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @ Adam7985, a person who understands the DLA benefits criteria. You may be able to use an online search by just putting in the questions you want answers to you’ll be amazed at how much information is out there on every manner of benefit claiming and support.
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    The cerebra guide is often recommended.

I seem to remember that high rate mobility in the circumstances you describe requires the child to also qualify for high rate care.  It is not going to be easy to claim.

Is he on any medication to help with sleep? If he sleeps better, his behaviour may be less challenging.
  • Adam7985
    Thanks for the reply. We are on a waiting list to be seen by a pediatrician about his sleep but have been told it’s a years wait to be seen, the form is daunting from what I remember and you hear of people getting there claim reduced or stopped, so we don’t know what to do
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Adam7985 said:
    Thanks for the reply. We are on a waiting list to be seen by a pediatrician about his sleep but have been told it’s a years wait to be seen, the form is daunting from what I remember and you hear of people getting there claim reduced or stopped, so we don’t know what to do
    My daughter's son has similar issues and has been told that the only way that the long queue can be avoided was to go private. This is what she is doing.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.