Waiting for a date for my PIP Appeal and have recieved a letter from DWP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting for a date for my PIP Appeal and have recieved a letter from DWP?

laurenai
laurenai Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi everyone, 
I am becoming increasingly anxious as I'm currently awaiting a date for my tribunal for PIP. I've been waiting since February and have already recieved the large information pack from DWP with all of the evidence and reasons for not awarding me PIP. 

However, on Friday i recieved a letter from DWP saying that they have all the information they need and will be in touch with a decision. Does anyone have any idea what this means? 

The letter is dated 2nd April and I've had missed calls from private numbers on the 3rd and 4th - could this be related? 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• jenniB
    jenniB Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    The DWP are like a shrouded and difficult organisation to cope with,
    They have targets to meet and unfortunately PIP claimants are being treated badly to help reach those targets ( getting 20 claims per day stopped )
    My daughter had a similar experience with DWP/PIP
    Before we went to tribunal The DWP phoned and settled the case therefore the tribunal hearing was cancelled 
    most cases that go to tribunal are hopeless cases for the DWP to win and they often resolve things before the tribunal date- 
    I would ring them and clarify things.
    Like you I have been also waiting Since February to hear whether my case is to proceed to tribunal 
    its been ongoing for last Six months-
    contact you’re local MP for assistance.
    I have contacted mine, This is an area where your MP’s office will help you, they are very good with PIP and benefit related appeals 
    Kind Regards J
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, your missed calls mostly from cold callers I have only mobile so in recent months I have blocked calls from to many organisations some using mobile numbers. I have not heard of the DWP having targets of stopping 20 claims a day this maybe a myth as for contacting your MP again this is a varied approach and some MPs are helpful while most are showing interest but in reality no help at all.
  • Freddy67
    Freddy67 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    What makes you think they have a target?

@laurenai I would check with the DWP if you are able to call or get someone to call for you but obviously make sure you are there when they call. You will probably have to do a security check first. 

I hope you find out what it's about.
  • cja67
    cja67 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi
    I've been waiting since August for my tribunal date and they have now cancelled my hearing for this week. I have phoned several times but just keep being told to wait. My HR mobility was reduced but daily living rate increased does anyone else find this strange. I've been worried sick about losing my car and wondered if anyone has had a similar situation!!
  • laurenai
    Hi everyone,
    Thanks for your help. 

It turns out the private calls were from the DWP as I answered this morning and have magically been awarded standard daily living and mobility from 0 points! 

It really does show the flaws of the system. 
  • jenniB
    I worked as a Benefits Officer & designated Fraud Officer within the Housing Benefit department at my local Authority for 20 Years
    i also had access to the DWP CIS Customer Information Service only available for Local Authorities to check DWP awards
    request NI numbers,
    I still have friends In Both Departments 
    Local Authority & DWP
    I became severely disabled last year & now unable to work.
    I know How both departments are run- the targets set by government  to reduce the amount of people in receipt of any benefits.
    The target is 20 a day 
    the cost to make Us go to tribunal £140
    of which 70% drop out-
    thats 70% of awards not given at the correct rate or benefits 
    not awarded at all
    if your Claim starts in one financial year. Chances are it will be declined-
    Then you require a mandatory Reconsideration 
    which ALMOST ALWAYS 
    remains the same as the original decision.
    forcing you to go to tribunal
    the whole process usually spans into another financial year before you win your case
    hence whopping savings in each financial year
    back dated awards are recorded differently in their stats-
    i worked in our Subsidy Team through the financial Year end whilst at MKC.
    i have great knowledge of how the BENEFIT system works 
  • Freddy67
    Wow that's really bad :/
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited April 2019
    I'm already worrying about the PIP assessment I just had, it was a review, I'm currently getting PIP. I have severe anxiety, depression and FM and the whole process is making me feel a lot worse :/ It feels worse than when I first applied tbh.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @jenniB - interesting post. Can I query one thing?

If claims run from one financial year to the next the this might indicate an apparent "saving' but surely this can only happen once? (i.e.the first year will look good but the second year will start off with all of the claims that were "carried over")
  • jenniB
    edited April 2019
    Ditto- I have lost over 8lbs 
    never ever sleep more than 2-3 hours without waking anxious and in so much pain.
    don’t let the DWP and their agonising processes deter you,
    if you are truly disabled then that will be proven eventually and you will get the benefit you are entitled to,
    I must point out,
    as I worked in The Benefits Environment for 20 years
    changes were radically needed to root out people who live off the state & never contributing to society.
    hence why ESA & Univeral Credit have been so overalled.
    THIS IS A PRODUCT T OF TONY BLAIRS GOVERMENT.
    The White paper to make these changes was voted in by The Labour Administration 
    its one of the biggest and most complex complicated changes to the Benefits system ever known,
    to Administer Universal Credit
    is very fragmented especially for the elderly.
    part of Universal Credit 
    ie - Attendance Allowance will be awarded by the local Authority not the DWP. 
    That is one example-
    very large Authorites are still unable to get the software to cope with the quantity of benefit claims in their areas.
    Universal Credit has been rolling out since 2011.
    unfortuately The Benefits system is very broken now and This Tory GOVERMENT Have to try roll it out, make it work
    all of which is a very expensive 
    almost impossible task at great expense 
    if only The DWP / GOVERMENT Listened to Benefit Officers absolute fear about Bringing in Universal Credit, We might not be in such a dilemma 
  • Freddy67
    edited April 2019
    Sounds very rough.
  • laurenai
    Hi @WF2k, I sincerely hope your claim goes through without incident and everything is fine. 

However, I really would advise you to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I struggle with severe anxiety and depression, and I attended a face to face assessment despite my anxiety as I believed it would benefit me in the long run despite the anxiety it would cause. However, the asessor just wrote blatant lies and missed out important information such as past suicide attempts etc and made observations such as me being well kempt and said I did not appear anxious. They also failed to mention that my mum was there with me and helped me answer questions as I'm unable to do it alone. 

The system is broken and needs fixing. 
  • [Deleted User]
    @jenniB I wouldn't give up, I was deemed fit for work twice by DWP/ATOS pretty much back to back, waited 12 months for the first tribunal, won that, then I was sent a form about 3 months later, they did the exact same thing to me, I waited 18 months for the next tribunal because they lost my paperwork, I won that also. This was when you got legal aid and there was no MR. If I was well I wouldn't be sat here with my son caring for me, I'd be out working as a carer, which is something I'd always wanted to do.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    @laurenai Ah, mine was a home assessment which was witnessed by my Son and recorded with permission by us. The assessor read back what he had written.

Not all assessors are liars, my first assessment wasn't recorded, was at home with my Son there, I've read through the report and she also wrote down pretty much what I told her, there were a few smalls fibs but nothing to major or to worry about, like her claiming she did a peak flow when she didn't. I was awarded enhanced/enhanced.
  • laurenai
    I see! I'm glad you have more faith than I do and I really do hope your claim goes without a hitch! 

I was awarded 0 points for both, twice and went to take it to appeal but just today they called and decided they could award me both mobility and daily living from 0 points and after 10 months of suffering. 

When I sent my MR, they apparently had a mental health nurse look over my evidence and she decided I was fine apparently to. 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2019
    Oh so you were awarded PIP eventually? They do make a lot of people suffer for no reason :/
  • laurenai
    Yes, just today.  I'd been waiting for a date for my appeal since February and just today they called to offer me it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Well I'm glad they awarded you and that you don't have to go to a tribunal now, I bet it's weight off your shoulders.

It's horrible having anxiety and very hard to think positively about things, you might think I have faith but I don't really, I'm just trying to sound positive and give a positive experience in regards to my first assessment, my brain auto thinks negatively, it's hard work constantly arguing with my brain and telling it to stop making me anxious and sore every single day!
  • Gwenewen7
    Gwenewen7 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    I am now waiting for a court date it keeps getting postponed my appeal was reject to the DWP that went on for 11weeks they took £100 a month off me for the mobility even though I had got worse so I have now appeal again last August and waiting for a court date they keep moving the dates as they say they are unable yet to book a court date as so busy it is a joke I cannot work rarely go out now as walking is a problem so fingers crossed I will hear soon .
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    jenniB said:
    ......….Attendance Allowance will be awarded by the local Authority not the DWP. 

if only The DWP / GOVERMENT Listened to Benefit Officers absolute fear about Bringing in Universal Credit, We might not be in such a dilemma 
    Given that you were dealing with benefits within a LA, you show little knowledge about Attendance Allowance.
    That particular benefit has nothing to do with a LA awarding it. It is dealt with by the DWP.

Based on that limited knowledge it would have been disastrous if the government had listened to the LA.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.