Appeals PROCESS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeals PROCESS

Threesticks
Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Well, Ive filled all their forms jumped through two of their hoops. Am on the final stage, BEGGING, erm, sorry I mean appeal :D . I've filled in their appeals form too, HMCT SSCS Appeals Court Bradford.

If you're at this stage and, like me, does not have a Representative, some hint's and tips from a loners prospective and my point of view only. The reason I don't want a Rep, I'd rather do this myself, if I lose it's my fault and no one else to blame. And, if you get a Rep, who's new to this, how would you know ? Who knows what their politics are or how they feel about disabled people. Not saying you should do it my way, you may need that support.

When filling in the paper form, read it first. Then, read it again, before putting pen to paper. Think about your responses. Check for errors in spelling and grammar. I'm not the best at both, so a computer is useful.  I inputted all my responses into the computer first and made any adjustments on there first. I know you can do it online, but once you've sent it, it's gone and that's that.

There is a checklist that is in the paper form use it, you can also download the complete form from the interwebthingy. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/748554/sscs1-eng.pdf    It's an printable PDF

I download two, just in case I knocked the coffee cup  :D 
So now you've filled it in with your best handwriting, check it. Send it off, enclosing MR (Mandatory Reconsideration letter from the DWP). I've also put in some evidence. I marked it as evidence bundle No1 and so on. Remember this is a Court and a Judge is one of the three panel members.

I'm not telling grandma how to suck eggs here. I know many on here will have gone through this stressful experience. What I want, is to help the noobs like me. And the old-timers (I'm sure there are young-timers as well :D) who've been through this, to give any hints and tips that worked for them. How did you fair at your hearing. What to expect and questions asked of you.

I hope this helps some, big love.

If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Thanks for sharing this with us @Threesticks how is it all going?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @Threesticks :) Good Luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Threesticks

The next stage is that you will receive confirmation that your appeal has been accepted.
    You will then receive all the evidence used in determining your claim from the DWP, this is refered to as " the bundle ". The DWP will ask for the secretary of state to disallow your appeal, this is standard practice and means nothing.
    When you receive the bundle you must check it and ensure that all your evidence is included.
    This is what you will use to prepare your submission. Each page will be numbered and you should use the page number when referencing in your submission. Your witten submission is then attached to the back of the bundle, you should include youe name and NI number on each page. Again you should add  page  numbers to your submission ie. page 1 of 6, or page 9 of 120.
    Make it as easy as possible for the tribunal members to find the relevant evidence by referencing to it by page and paragraph
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Hi Threesticks

The next stage is that you will receive confirmation that your appeal has been accepted.
    You will then receive all the evidence used in determining your claim from the DWP, this is refered to as " the bundle ". The DWP will ask for the secretary of state to disallow your appeal, this is standard practice and means nothing.
    When you receive the bundle you must check it and ensure that all your evidence is included.
    This is what you will use to prepare your submission. Each page will be numbered and you should use the page number when referencing in your submission. Your witten submission is then attached to the back of the bundle, you should include youe name and NI number on each page. Again you should add  page  numbers to your submission ie. page 1 of 6, or page 9 of 120.
    Make it as easy as possible for the tribunal members to find the relevant evidence by referencing to it by page and paragraph
    I can't knock that advice, but considering that these claimants are already stressed with the appeal process, I can't see many wanting or being able to wade through upwards of 120 pages of evidence in order to prepare a submission to be presented in court. It's bad enough with someone that does that for a living such as a solicitor or welfare rights officer trying to find all of the angles and case law to use for the appeal. You only have to read the many posts on Rightsnet to understand the complexity of such a task, even those members have to ask each other for advice. 

I would simply summarise your case and what you are asking the Tribunal to decide on. 
  • Threesticks
    Threesticks Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    All interesting comments, thank you. Isn't it disgraceful, that in 2019, after many years of accepting peoples disabilities and helping them, it's come to this. My med records go back some 45 years and is beyond reproach. Yet, a person who I met for just one hour can out-trump two Surgeons and a multitude of Dr's, over that period of time.

Just to give you some idea of my conditions, I was run over by a drunk drive 1975. This caused me many injuries and at one point I'd left this mortal coil. The Surgeon, at that time, told me I'd have some difficulties in later life, boy did he get that right.

The DWP have all this info, told me, it's a slight limp :D. Failed to mention the  Osteoarthritis in both my knees. One leg shorter than the other which gives me back pain because of my uneven gait. And, lots of related effects. I'm not trying to rip off the Country I've supported all my working life and still do. Cheese, I retire in less than two years and will draw my pension. So for me it's not even about the small amount of benefit they pay.  I just wanted a fair shake of the stick, so to speak. But no, we have a Government who, in my opinion, just want old disabled folk like me dead.  We're an inconvenience to them, but that's for another post.

Looking forwards to more stories of appeals questioning to the Appellant. I love that word :D  

If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.