How long for a PIP tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long for a PIP tribunal?

fiona2000
fiona2000 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my name is Fiona I've been turn down for pip four time now I've got no muscle in my arm plus I got curved back I put my claim in for tribunal it's waiting to be heard do you no how long I have to wait I've been waiting for 3 months I've rang tribunal up they saying it's waiting to be heard 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fiona2000.

Welcome aboard!!!!

So sorry to hear about your current problems.

We have got plenty of info on our home page where you will see a list off Advisors.

There is a Benefits Advisor who would be a good starting point for you.

Please please let us know how you get on & if there is anything else that we can help you with.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @fiona2000,

I'm sorry for the delayed response and to hear about your problems with PIP.

Have you heard back from the tribunal yet with regards to a date?

I've moved this post to our Ask a Benefits Advisor category, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to offer some help and support.

If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @fiona2000

Unfortunately waiting times vary dependent on the backlog in your area. In my area it's at least 16 weeks, so your 3 months is well within reason, and in some areas it is even longer.

Sorry I can't help more, but you've done the right thing in checking that it's there and just waiting to be listed.

Just to check - make sure you have requested an oral hearing and not a paper one as this massively improves your chances - if you're in the queue there's still time to change this!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

• rosie55
    rosie55 Community member Posts: 40 Listener
    Hi this has been my timescale.
    September 2016-form went in
    Nov 2016- assessment
    Dec 2016-  got letter to say no points put in for MR.
    Jan 2017- letter MR no change put tribunal letter in.
    July 2017- had a tribunal and won.
    Just under a week later got a letter saying asking for statement of reasons .
    Still waiting for these to cum back .x

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hi fiona2000,

In the West Midlands where I deliver benefits advice the waiting time is around 19 weeks from the date your appeal is received. In the meantime, it is useful to prepare by obtaining medical evidence from any medical professionals involved in your care, and contacting your local Welfare Rights Service (if there is one in your area) who may be able to complete a submission for you and may even represent the case at the tribunal with you. Good luck!

Lee

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    In London I had to wait five and a half months for my tribunal hearing.
  • Katenbrooks
    Katenbrooks Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have been waiting for a tribunal fate since Aug 2017.and still waiting ..how long 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    Hello Katenbrooks

I can only (and unfortunately) repeat that there are considerable delays in hearing appeals at the moment. In Bradford/Leeds the wait can be as long as 6-8 months. 

You can contact the Tribunal Service to see if they can give you a time estimate for how long PIP appeals are taking in your area? 

Maria

• sueclues
    sueclues Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    pip appeal went in 10/10/2018 still awaiting on date .told it would be 40+ weeks ,now been told it could be upto another 6 months .where do they get the time scale from ,its disgusting that people should be made to wait 
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    What does a statement of reasons letter mean?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    There is a severe backlog because so many people now are appealing.

A statement of reasons letter is when DWP informs someone they have asks tribunal judge for their decision reasons.
  • sueclues
    sueclues Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Maybe they want to look at why people are appealing , if so are so many then that shows there is one hell of a problem
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi All
    The waiting time in Bradford is 54 weeks. There's such a big backlog because of the increase of people wanting to take it to a tribunal. I have been waiting a year and they are have now given me a date because I am losing my home.
    Its ridiculous having people waiting all this time and the impact his has on peoples health and wellbeing.
    Good luck to all who are going to tribunal.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @justg72, that's such a long time to be waiting but I'm glad you've now been given a date. Are you prepared for the tribunal and do you have anyone supporting you with it? I noticed you posted on another thread about losing your home and I've replied there, but just to reiterate, if you haven't already, please consider getting in touch with Shelter. They're a housing and homelessness charity in England and they will be able to offer you advice and support with regards to losing your home. 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.