ESA overpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA overpayment

Molly33
Molly33 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello, this is my first post. 
I am very worried at the moment about a situation with my daughter's ESA. 
I am her appointee as she is an Autistic adult, and she has been on ESA for a couple of years. I recently learned of the 6,000 savings limit.
She didn't have much saved when I claimed ESA for her but because she doesn't go out and also gets PIP she has accumulated 12,000 in the bank.
I wrote to inform ESA this week, as soon as I realised, and have been terrified all week of going to jail or court.
My daughter struggles to understand and as her appointee it is entirely my fault. 
We would just like her ESA stopped until we know how much to pay back. 
Should i go to citizens advice or just ring the ESA? I am worried the letter I wrote will take ages to be acted on.
Thank you. 

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Ring them up in morning and explain I thought savings was higher than that check and see how it goes if you ring they should sort it sooner than later good luck 
  • Molly33
    Thanks I will ring today. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Molly

You need to get trained help from an advice agency near you. You have taken steps as soon as you became aware of the situation so don't worry about jail or court. The likelyhood is that a plan to repay any overpayment will be put in place via an attachment to your daughters ESA
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Molly33
    Thanks, I have messaged citizens advice and feel a bit better after reading some online advice. 
    Hopefully it will get sorted out soon. 
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @Molly33 welcome to the community :)

On the GOV.uk website it mentions: 

You will not qualify for income-related ESA if you have savings over £16,000.

‘New style’ and contribution-based ESA do not take into account any savings you have.

But you can confirm this with your local CAB, please keep us updated.

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Your allowed 16000 savings 
  • Molly33
    I will update tomorrow when i ring on my day off

• Molly33
    An update. I have spoken to someone at DWP and they put my mind at rest. My daughters ESA is suspended until I have sent in bank statements and they will recalculate what she should be getting. 
    There will probably be an overpayment we need to pay back also. 
    I am happy that she won't be accumulating more savings while it is being sorted out. 
    To anyone in this situation I would say don't overthink it, like I did, and just ring and chat to an advisor. 
    Thanks for everyone's advice. 
    On income based ESA once you go over 6000 in savings your should declare it so your ESA can be reduced. If you have 16000 your ESA stops. I can monitor this now I am aware of it.
    It would help if this was clearly stated on letters though. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.