ESA be the last before state pension? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA be the last before state pension?

pisces29
pisces29 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi am new to this but hope you may be able to answer my question. I am 64 and have just had to see a HCP, I have just heard i will be kept in support group for ESA, does anyone know if this will be the last before my state pension in 2 years time, I hope so

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

For ESA they can re-assess you anytime from 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pisces29
    Thank you poppy, looks like I’m with them for a while yet, cant understand them, last time they contacted me was a few years ago and then again now. At least i was treated better this time, they were almost human
  • pisces29
    I received my ESA and PIP forms both in December, I filled them in and had to go for ESA review, which I dreaded. 2 weeks later, I heard i was being kept in the support group. A few weeks later I have now received an appointment for a PIP assessment, about 8 weeks after the last one.  I know they are separate benefits, but my health condition is the same. Is it really necessary to have 2 assessments within weeks of each other, makes no sense and cant cope with it, any ideas please
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2019
    Hi,

Great news on the Support Group. I'm afraid you will have to attend the face to face assessment for PIP as well. If you don't attend then your PIP could stop. About a week after the assessment you'll be able to ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

I know it is a while off yet but bear in mind the SRA cut off for the PIP mobility element if appropriate. What ever rate of mobility that you have when passing SRA can never be increased even if your needs do

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • pisces29
    Thank you, for your answer, i thought i would have to attend, sorry cockney rebel didn’t understand what you meant. Don’t really understand PIP.  A few years ago I got the high rate for mobility and applied for a mobility car. Seven months down the line they took it off me as they lowered my mobility rate and gave me the higher rate for care.We got rid of a perfectly good car, never again even if they change it.  Didn’t have time to appeal as they wanted their car back, so i had to accept it, my mental health is not good at all. It now looks like I will be having another interview, having had ESA one about 8 weeks ago and go for the PIP one, 
  • poppy123456
    What CockneyRebel has advised means that you won't be able to claim Enhanced rate of mobility once you reached state pension age unless you're already claiming it before reaching that age.
  • pisces29
    Thank you for your reply
  • pisces29
    Hi had brown envelope back about PIP decision. I was receiving the enhanced benefit for the personal care, my letter reads that I now have been reduced to the standard rate and don’t know why as my condition is no better. I am 1 point short of the enhanced rate for personal care and am furious with them.  I’m not sure to do the mandatory reconsideration as could loose a lot more. Don’t know what to do. I have recently been assessed for ESA and am still in support group. I have sent for the HCP report but haven’t got it yet. She was trying me out with trick questions and didn’t like her at all, I don’t why as I have nothing to hide. All very unfair.
  • CockneyRebel
    It is certainly worth considering MR and even tribunal as mentioned if you have no mobility award when you reach SRA then it is gone for good. This is probably your last opportunity
  • pisces29
    Thank you, I actually get standard rate for mobility at the moment. When it was DLA  I got the higher rate for mobility and managed to get a car through the scheme. 7 months down the line I was assessed for PIP and all was taken off me and I had to finance a car, It was a nightmare. They then put up my care allowance and now this has been lowered to standard as well. I have both at standard rates now, caused a lot of grief and anxiety and made me worse. I don’t know if i could cope with a tribunal because of stress levels I have now, but I am so mixed up and upset with the everything. I am really undecided, maybe I should wait for HCP report and see what lies she told about me, I always thought ESA was harder to get, but when I went for review, she was human and said it would probably would be ok and I got it, now this has happened.
  • CockneyRebel
    Waiting for the assessment report sounds like a plan. You might consider getting traind help from an advice agency near you. What ever you decide please let us know and if we can help will will do our best
  • pisces29
    Thank you so much I will 
  • pisces29
    I received the HCP report for my pip report. Can’t believe what I read, said I didn’t show any signs of pain at the assessment, I actually have had spinal surgery and am in chronic pain which my GP stated quite plainly in her report, and take a large amount of pain killers.  She asked me if I needed to stand up at one point and could see the pain I was in. I regrettably have had to accept the lower rate of PIP. Couldn’t get any help within the allocated time scale and it was seriously affecting my mental health. I was 1 point short of the higher rate, I feel that I have been blackmailed into accepting the lower rate. I am in the ESA support group, which had taken place  6 weeks before my PIP assessment. My next assessment they have stretched further to almost 3 years time, yet they give me the lower rate, cant understand it.I have accepted it in case they take everything off me and mentally I couldn’t face a tribunal, what a mess.
  • CockneyRebel
    It is possible for the DWP to go against the report but unusual. The award length probably takes you past SRA in which case you will be stuck on whatever mobility award you have. When you get the decision letter do think carefully about whether to appeal and if you realistically should meet the criteria for a higher award. Try to get some trained advice from CAB, Welfare rights or similar
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    The DWP know full well that what ever level of mobility you are on as you pass SRA that's it. They will re-assess you in two years time from the date of the decision letter. which may or may not be after you attain SRA.
    Yes I agree if there is a chance of upping the mobility award now after discussing it with a professional (that is if you can find one in time) you should take it.
    At the end of the day only you know what your limitations are and it is not for posters on here to try to tell you that you must apply for MR/appeal. It is fully understandable that for those that are vulnerable and unlikely to have the strength to fight the DWP many actually are happier in accepting what they are given.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.