College — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

College

blue63
blue63 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
edited April 2019 in Education
Hi could you help my son is autistic and has ehcp he started college in sept2018 but was struggling as he does not like change but wanted to give it ago he has issues withat his sleep we explained all this at his interview with is support worker xmas was a bad time for him getting to college he has bad attendence which we have discussed finally we had a meeting they where going to reduce his timetable and had a review for his ehcp on the 18 March then on the 20 the tutor rang to say my son was being withdrawn from college as he has lack of engagement with his course and 52% attendence has anyone you know gone through this please any help .

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @blue63, I'm sorry no one has been able to answer your question yet. It seems unfair for them to offer a reduced timetable and then a few days later withdraw him from the class. Have you requested a meeting with the SENCO or his college's equivalent?

Community Manager
    Scope
  • blue63
    Hi thank you for reply yes it was the support worker who said they would reduce the timetable it was the tutor and the curriculum team that said he would not be able to catch up as the course needs him in at all times that is way they withdraw him his attendance is 52%.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Have you spoken to the support worker again since? It sounds like they've possibly not liaised with the tutor. 

@melaniethorley I know you usually deal with higher education but would you be able to offer any advice on this?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @KellyParentAdvisor can you help at all?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    Hi @blue63, sorry to hear that you and your son are experiencing some difficulties and miscommunication with his college at the moment. As he has an EHCP in place they should be putting the support written into that in place, so if a reduced timetable was discussed and planned at the Annual Review for the EHCP the college should be following that.

Was anyone from the college at the review meeting? If not it may be worth, as @Adrian_Scope suggested, contacting the college, or asking the support worker to speak to them, to arrange a new meeting which everyone, especially now as there has been a change in circumstances. The college should make sure a representative (such as an Inclusion Leader or Additional Learning Needs Coordinator) is there so if any changes need to be made they can be agreed and avoid any further confusion.

Also if you'd like further information on EHCP's and college placements the following link may be useful.

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/Pages/Category/get-support

I hope this helps and best wishes.
  • blue63
    The college have had meeting with the curriculum team and they are saying he has been withdrawn due to lack of engagement with course and his attendance 52% they are saying he needs to get himself better for restart in sept his tutor has sent him some work for him to look at on line this is work he can be doing at home I am going to get in touch with the education local authorities to see if they can help ashe they deal with the ehcp thank you for all your replys.
  • melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    I am sorry I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread. It sounds like a very difficult situation and I hope you resolve the issues soon. You may find some info from Disability Rights UK website.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @blue63, I hope you and your son are keeping well.
    Have you had any luck with your local education authority? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • blue63
    Thank you for asking I am waiting on email from them as I chatted with them and they said they will look into ithe. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    I'm glad they're on the case @blue63! Keep in touch and let us know how things go.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • blue63
    Hi I am unsure who to turn to the local authority have sent my email to the lady from connexions no one is helping they just keep sending me back and forth  what is going to happen who is it that I talk to about my sons ehcp please can you help me .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    Hi @blue63

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing some problems with this. There are usually support agencies that are based in your local area that can support when a parent/child experiences problems with education. Depending on where you live there should be a Parent Partnership Service locally that can give you region specific guidance, as it can vary from local authority to local authority.

The links below may be useful in finding out who this may be for you, and you can then give them a call. They can then offer more specific advice and in some cases face to face support.

https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/information-advice-and-support-services-network

https://www.ipsea.org.uk/Pages/Category/service-overview

I hope this helps.
  • blue63
    Hi thank you for youreply reply I have spoken with them about all this and they were at the meeting they seam to be at a loss I don't know who else to talk to about it just feel at a loss this must have happened  before my son cant be the first .

Brightness