Scared about PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scared about PIP assessment

lizziebizzy
lizziebizzy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I’m a newbie, but realise I could do with support. Hope to speak to you soon

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lizziebizzy

Good Evening and Welcome to our Online Community.

Please please let me know what help/support you need/require??

@steve51
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lizziebizzy welcome to the community! Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lizziebizzy
    I have a trapped nerve in my c8 vertebrae so my right arm doesn’t work very well. Severe sleep apnea, can’t wear the mask makes me feel like I’m dying. Stage 3 kidney disease, migraines, lower back pain, odeama in my legs, psoriasis, depression, anxiety and panic attacks. 
    I am 57, the mother of 3 grown children. I was born in Edinburgh, grew up in South Yorkshire now live in Liverpool. I am self employed as I can’t work for someone else, because of the above. 
    I have applied for PIP assessment on 17th scared about that. 
    Thats me in a nutshell, defined by what’s wrong with me
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP assessments can be stressful and daunting, rest assured Scope has lots of information and advice to offer and a community who have experienced the same process so we will be more than happy to answer any questions you have :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @lizziebizzy, welcome to the community. :)

As Ami said, PIP assessments can be very daunting. It's important to remember they are more interested in how your disabilities affect your daily living than what your diagnosis is. Have you had a look at the descriptors at all? Do you have any questions or concerns we can try and alleviate?

Community Manager
    Scope
  • lizziebizzy
    I have never claimed anything like this. My daily life is affected greatly. I have to be dressed by my ex partner. I can’t bath myself. I have to have my food cut up for me. I can carry a cup of water but nothing else. 
    I had my gallbladder out may 17 and am left with diarrhoea most days. I feel like I’m moaning but I’m in chronic pain. 
    Do I answer their questions or describe my day?
    sorry if asking stupid questions
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger

There are no stupid questions if you don't know the answers. The HCP will ask you questions about your conditions and how they affect the things you can and cannot do. They should look at you list of prescibed medication. They will be observing every thing you do from the start. They will aslo ask you to do some simple physical actions but if you are unable to do any without causing great pain then you can refuse as long as you explain the reason why

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lizziebizzy
    Thank you for your advice. My assessment was cancelled by them on 1st April so that has made me more anxious.  
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    I had my gallbladder out may 17 and am left with diarrhoea most days. I feel like I’m moaning but I’m in chronic pain. 
    My wife had her's out in 2008. Yes she was warned about that toilet problem too. She controls it well and when she has to go she has to go!
    Quite normal for those who have had that surgery so I wouldn't worry about it too much, you learn to live with it.
  • lizziebizzy
    The only way at the moment to control it, is not to eat the day before I have to do something. Once the thing is over I can eat. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    When I said she controls it she is aware that she needs to go to a toilet a few times a day so we plan where we go to, where the toilets are. It certainly isn't something that restricts her life. In fact we travel on holidays by car upwards of 400 miles but do ensure that I know where the service stations are. It's just a case of sensible planning. As for how this normal side effect would affect PIP she would not score any points for toilet needs.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Hiya @lizziebizzy
    I had mine out many years ago. I found that if when I  reduced the amount of fat I ate, I didn't get the diarrhoea. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.