Are we entitled to a top up of Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are we entitled to a top up of Universal Credit?

shabbychicvintage
shabbychicvintage Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
hello I am trying to understand how universal credit works , Today i was told by the citizens advice that we could be entitled to a good payment of a top up of universal credit , My husband is in the support group esa i am his carer , what i want to find out is if we claim will my husband have to be assessed at all or go to the job centre He has just had multiple mini strokes and has severe rheumatoid arthritis , ostio arthritis, copd , He is having to stay as stress free as possible but if he had to have to go to the job centre or have a medical this could cause yet another stroke , Does anyone know if he will have to do any of thees please 

Comments

• badger247
    badger247 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I was on esa last year until my partner moved in with me and we had to go on a joint claim for universal credits, at that point I found out that I need to visit the job centre, supply the with a fit note from the doctors, have another medical assessment to be able make a claim for universal credits, I was surprised and frustrated I had to start the hole thing over again as I would have been still signed off by esa for another 4 months, i tried to explain to the job centre that i strungle with my mobility but they didn't care and to top everything else I had to wait 6 weeks before I got a payment
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Hi @shabbychicvintage

There is conflicting advice about new claims and the LCW/LCWRA part of Universal Credit but this is what the Citizens Advice Bureau say
    "You'll automatically have LCWRA if you're in the ESA support group.

If you already have LCW or LCWRA for ESA you don't need to fill in another form or have a medical assessment for Universal Credit. You'll still have LCW or LCWRA on Universal Credit as long as there's no break between your ESA claim and your Universal Credit claim.

The DWP might still say you need another assessment, but you don't. You can challenge your Universal Credit decision if the DWP say you need another assessment."

If the Job Centre ask your husband to get a fit note or hand one in, ask them to speak with ESA, because LCWRA should be issued automatically and if it's not and you hand in a fit note, it will trigger a reassessment.

Hope that helps but if you do have any other questions please don't hesitate to get in touch! smile

Community Manager
    Scope
  • shabbychicvintage
    Thank you Adrian after a week of stressful phone calls  and mistakes on universal credits side he now doesn't have to  go to get his pin number they are giving him a telephone interview which i  will do on his behalf next week after he has confirmed his date of birth and his name so fingers crossed it will then go smoothly , but if they ask for another medical i will take your advice and challenge it , Thanks once again , Eileen  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    That’s great @shabbychicvintage! Hopefully it will go smoothly for you but if you run into any problems let us know. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • shabbychicvintage
    Thank you very much , Eileen 
  • shabbychicvintage
    hello i don't think that would apply to my husband as he is on contribution based esa and has been for years , Eileen

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.