DWP Question - Loans/Grants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP Question - Loans/Grants

Options
Roddy
Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
Hi everybody...

I made an application to the DWP Social Fund, as I require a new mattress for my bed. I received a notification from DWP that I was not eligible due to me not receiving Income Related ESA... However, I do receive ESA plus the enhanced rate, and also P.I.P and Housing Benefit.

My ESA payments have been dealt with Universal Credit since January of this year and because of this it seems that I am not eligible for any loan/grant or funding. ???

I cannot understand why this is, as it's not like my entitlements to ESA have changed, nor my circumstances. The only change is my benefit payments being absorbed into and administrated and paid by Universal Credit. 

The only DWP funding or loan policies that I'm aware of are either from The Social Fund or a Crisis Loan, however it seems that by being in receipt of Universal Credit removes the eligibility for these?  

I would be grateful for any advice please and/or who else could I approach in this instance.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Hi @Roddy, are you definitely in receipt of income related ESA and not contribution based?

If you’re on Universal Credit there is a Budgeting Advance you may be eligible for, although it states you need to have been claiming UC for 6 months and earned under a certain threshold, if you've been in receipt of eligible benefits before moving to UC these also count. 

Do give UC a call and see what they say. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Roddy, are you definitely in receipt of income related ESA and not contribution based?

If you’re on Universal Credit there is a Budgeting Advance you may be eligible for, although it states you need to have been claiming UC for 6 months and earned under a certain threshold, if you've been in receipt of eligible benefits before moving to UC these also count. 

Do give UC a call and see what they say. 
    Thank You @Adam_Scope,  my Mandatory Reconsideration Notice of 02/11/2018 only states that I receive ESA with the Support Group Component. There's no mention of 'income related' or 'contribution based.'  

I did receive a Budgeting Advance of £300 when I was changed over to Universal Credit... I'll do like you suggest and contact UN via my Journal page.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,230 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds like you’re receiving new style ESA which is contributions based and you’re claiming UC as well. This means that you won’t be able to apply for a budgeting loan but will be able to apply for a budgeting advance. However, you will only be able to do this if you have paid back all of the advance payment you had when you first applied for UC. Any outstanding loan will mean you won’t be able to have another.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness