Discrimination ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination ?

Angiebabes2410
Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
I went to a very basic IT class which comprises of around 15 people of the older generation some are in their 80s and 90s I went with a lady I know who already attended the group she said it's more of a social event than learning computers so when I got there I parked up my mobility scooter in the corner and sat down on a normal chair in the middle of three tables during the first day 3 people asked me to help them one said she needed to set the time and date on her tablet another said she was trying to access something else and the other lady had a similar problem to the first I helped all 3 and it made me feel like I had a purpose so the second time I went it was pretty much the same and at the end I spoke to the lady who was running the group and asked if I could be official volunteer she look straight at me and said no you cannot be a volunteer because you are disabled I was shocked and horrified by her statement I asked her where did that policy come from she said the volunteer centre so I went straight down to my local volunteer centre where I am registered already as a volunteer they took my details and said they would get back to me. I didn't think that people could say something like that as it is simply sitting next to someone and showing them how to work an iPad laptop or tablet

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    That's totally out of order Angie . Maybe the lady who runs the group ie frightened for her job . I think there are many groups who could do with your help , if there are a few in the class I,m sure I would be happy to have someone to help....She should not be saying such things , that's discrimination . You were right to report her for her attitude ...please let us know how things progress .
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    If had this discrimination myself..
    They were ok with my helping while I was sitting, but when i stood up she realised I was disabled and tried to make me sit at the back WHERE YOU WONT BE IN ANYONE'S WAY.
    Funny I wasn't in anyone's way BEFORE she saw im disabled
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Angiebabes2410 I am so sorry that you had to experience this. Please keep us updated!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • vysvader
    vysvader Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    edited April 2019
    It falls under the Equality Act 2010. Unfortunately, rather of society even doesn't really grasp it. Anytime when I tried to explain to someone that these cases are a form of discrimination they said that it's not discrimination because "you guys are supposed to be worse mentally performing" so instead of corrective action, it always leaded to an offensive/discriminative comment (a defensive argument) and it usually finishes with the words that it's not discrimination if you're white : )))) Discrimination, racism, fascism, nazism are different things having different meanings. Is it? These words are not synonyms... Somehow it comes, but if you're white, it doesn't interest anyone. Either way, 80 years back, the first killed in a holocaust were white disabled Germans and then, it was a minority (all Ashkenazi Jews are white, e.g. whiter than southern Italian or Spanish fascists), not colored. I'm not sure why each one talk about discrimination (any kind thereof) tends to change the topic and it finishes with talks about skin color.

Sometimes, it passes statistically that some groups of disabled are in a way worse performing mentally or other groups are statistically above average (however, despite researches, it's not accepted by the lower class society) but this doesn't say anything about individuals, for the researches is enough if there's 2-5% correlation what is enough statistically significant.
    Statistically, nations have proved a different IQ (e.g. south Koreans 107, Japanese 105, the successfully killed 6 millions of Ashkenazi Jews were somewhere between 113-118 (in paradox, due to neurological diseases - disabilities and 2K years of discrimination - survived only the smarter), and some nations are with their average IQ deeply under 90).

In fact, there's no difference if someone discriminates you because of your disability or race, both are powered by exactly the same stats and cognitive biases. One thing is that Equality Act 2010 should just protect you (if we're not psychopaths/anti-social personality then understand why we should integrate you into the society either way if you are or not smart and can empathize with you) and the other thing is that statistics (averages of picked samples) from a group don't mean anything about you as an individual.

I can believe you because despite the fact that I'm healthy, for 13 years... Chronologically, from my 18, I volunteered for non-govt and from that time I'd been already under a public watch and a common topic for a year or two because of my volunteer activities, much for disease got in 21, nationality, etc... much-much later joined a security company in 22, even later (after 4 years of their own talks about disabilities, they offered me a handshake : ) when I re-visited some non-govt organizations... I seem to think that you will have got a hard position, there are not many that you can really count on.

You can feel free to get in touch 

Brightness