Please help with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please help with PIP

Car845
Car845 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how long it takes to get a decision from pip after the independent health professional has sent their report? I suffer from crippling anxiety and it is really making my insomnia a lot worse worrying about it. Any advice appreciated thank you 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Car845 and welcome

It usually takes 6-8 weeks but that is just a guide.
    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Car845 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I know it can take a long time. As my friend @CockneyRebel has added.

I myself have been through this before. Please can I suggest you speak to your Doctor can be useful.

I have myself mental health issues and always speak to the Doctor before any assessment and after. Even let them know about anything like this.

Does help as always reassurance but additional signposting to anything the Doctors can help with.

You not wasting their time. They are there to care and look after your wellbeing.

Please may I ask are you receiving any support for your anxiety?  Getting any support, advice on insomnia.

Something to consider.

Be happy to be supportive. Ready to listen.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Car845
    @CockneyRebel and @thespiceman thanks for responding I have phoned this morning and requested a copy of the report, I didn’t have to attend a f2f as they said they have enough paper evidence. I have been having CBT and I’m being referred to the mental health team to have a medication review as well. I am trying to be as proactive as possible about my mental health I am engaging with any help and support I can find. I got help with the application from WRAMAS and the person who helped me said he thinks I am likely to be successful but still can’t stop worrying 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Car845 welcome to the community! Waiting for a decision can cause a lot of anxiety, which is completely understandable. Keep us updated and let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I applied last summer. It took 1-2 months to get a response from DWP. I had to email them repeatedly to check on things for DS. Welcome to the community BTW. If you have any other questions please feel free to message me. 
  • frankie14
    frankie14 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Can you email them ? 
  • Car845
    Ami2301 said:
    Hi @Car845 welcome to the community! Waiting for a decision can cause a lot of anxiety, which is completely understandable. Keep us updated and let us know if you need any further help :)
    Thanks lots and will do!
  • thespiceman

Hello @Car845 How are you today?  Thank you for reply.

One suggestion I have is to make a comfort box.

In moments of crisis. Could be things that make you feel good. Give you reassurance.

In my home one corner have my bible favourite passages underlined. Also CD's that soothe and calm.

Classic FM produced a range of CD's around various themes and pieces and composers.

Including Mindfulness is the new one. Just a thought. I have things like my recipes, my favourite lines in poems.

Have other music as well . Like easy listening, jazz soul and those sorts of calming songs.

Reciting words from songs when going out does help and concentrates the mind.

Does help.

Please may I add small steps.

Try to do something to give you pleasure and enjoyment. Mine is cooking and making new creating recipes. Gardening, yoga or meditation helps.

We are here as a community anytime to help and be supportive.

Please keep in touch.

Anytime.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Car845

Hello @Car845 How are you today?  Thank you for reply.

One suggestion I have is to make a comfort box.

In moments of crisis. Could be things that make you feel good. Give you reassurance.

In my home one corner have my bible favourite passages underlined. Also CD's that soothe and calm.

Classic FM produced a range of CD's around various themes and pieces and composers.

Including Mindfulness is the new one. Just a thought. I have things like my recipes, my favourite lines in poems.

Have other music as well . Like easy listening, jazz soul and those sorts of calming songs.

Reciting words from songs when going out does help and concentrates the mind.

Does help.

Please may I add small steps.

Try to do something to give you pleasure and enjoyment. Mine is cooking and making new creating recipes. Gardening, yoga or meditation helps.

We are here as a community anytime to help and be supportive.

Please keep in touch.

Anytime.

@thespiceman

Thanks lots. I am a single mum and I’ve been following my therapists advice which is to do activities with my daughter as it does give me a sense of achievement and self worth. I don’t have any support and my daughter is 1 so small steps aren’t an option. I am just doing my best to keep my head above water. Am massively depressed but what can I do other than engage with support
  • thespiceman
    edited April 2019

Hello @Car845 Thank you for sharing with me much appreciated.

I say small steps what I mean is something I was taught by support workers. Means simply do what you can and be proud of what you have achieved today.

Could be something like making a meal or doing some tasks around the home.

I still plan housework, shopping and do simple tasks in a diary to know to myself . Today do this small bit of washing up. Just a few plates or dishes, bit by bit.

Just something I have learnt from others.  Especially my former support workers.

Always learning have mental health issues a long time.

Try to be kind to yourself.  Anything like that helps and gives self esteem.

I know being a single mother is not easy.

So I know it can be difficult.

As with my own personal time with either former friends or in a relationship.

Used to give them all some time for a break. 

Please can I also add you are here on this forum.  We are here as a community to listen and be understanding.

Please can I ask what do you want from any help and support.  From any service. Find some ways to give yourself some goals or aims to go for.

I have been there so many times and have and still do have bad days and good. Mental health is a illness that is complex and can be confusing.

Please can I add when I was ill from addiction . Been an alcoholic for thirty years.

Sorry if this about me. When I was really depressed and down after coming off the fears and insecurities become hard and very much plaguing my mind, conscious.

Anxiety suddenly became my big concern.

What helped was thinking and using that thinking those thoughts in away to be positive.

Use the time to write my thoughts down.  I did just that. 

Made a lot of scribbles, notes anything that came to my mind.  How are you? How and why am I depressed.

Did also brain storming. Any random daft, silly idea. Goal something to look at.  Might not do it but it is there.

I also may I advise this does help nothing wrong in doing that. Have done it a lot. Contact the Samaritans have a talk that is what there for.

There are professional people and have guidance.

I know the support you have from your support worker at the moment is helping .  This is good to engage with activities with your daughter.

Please if you wish to contact me or need to talk am very happy to be listening.

If that helps you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.