Been declared as LCW what does that mean for me now? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Been declared as LCW what does that mean for me now?

Nigel83
Nigel83 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi my name is nigel. i have been handing in fit notes for the last year. Until last monday when i had my work capability assessment. The next day i received a email telling me i had been declared has having limited capabilities for work. So as i have no idea what that now means could anyone please explain what that now means for me and will i now get any backdated money or not thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 
    I'm no expert but my understanding is that you only get any additional pay and back pay if awarded LCWRA and not LCW this payment was stopped for anyone applying after April 2017. 
    Your work coach will advise what you need to do now. 
    There is lots advise on internet and here for you to research.
  • Nigel83
    Thought so but wasn't sure think I'm going to appeal that decision anyway. Thanks @janer1967
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I was initially declared fit for work so appealed and did MR and got same decision so went to tribunal and got awarded LCWRA. So it can be worth appealing 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Nigel83  Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

We have lots on our website on benefits and appeals.

Please can I advise speak to CAB about anything benefits.  They have expertise and knowledge.

Something to consider. You could also speak to your work coach they should be able to advise you.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nigel83 welcome to the community! Let us know if you need any further help :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Nigel83
    Thanks guys could anyone advise me on how i appeal and if i should ask for help from welfare rights or citizens advice 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nigel83

You can challenge most decisions made by DWP about your ESA including:

• not getting ESA
    • being put in the work-related activity group and not the support group
    • getting a sanction

You can also challenge a decision about support for mortgage interest (SMI). SMI is a loan to help pay the interest on your mortgage if you get ESA.

There are 2 steps to challenging a decision.

1. You must ask DWP to look at the decision again. This is called ‘mandatory reconsideration’.

2. If you still disagree after the mandatory reconsideration, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. You can’t appeal to a tribunal until you have the result of a mandatory reconsideration in writing from the DWP.

There is more information here on the CAB website.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Nigel83
  • hass
    hass Community member Posts: 194 Courageous
    Hi all does anyone know if dyslexia  adhd ocd  dypraxia   are  classed  as disiblities or  learning difficulties 
    Csn you get esa  with  thrse 
    Thank you
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    hass said:
    Hi all does anyone know if dyslexia  adhd ocd  dypraxia   are  classed  as disiblities or  learning difficulties 
    Csn you get esa  with  thrse 
    Thank you
    It depends how you're affected by those conditions. It's no longer possible to claim the old style ESA unless you've worked in the previous 2 tax years and paid enough NI contributions. All areas are now a full universal credit area.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.