universal credit and carers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

universal credit and carers

Options
ashleymurphy321
ashleymurphy321 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
hi I was wondering what happens to my carers benifets I have recently been awarded pip higher rate in both components and my friend is caring for me she has put a claim in for carers allowance she is on universal credit what will she get we are just wondering 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ashleymurphy321 I have just found this which may be of use.

You can get an additional amount if you are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. You do not need to be in receipt of Carer’s Allowance. If you make a joint claim, both of you can get a carer’s amount as long as you are not caring for the same severely disabled person.

If you or your partner get Carer’s Allowance, your Universal Credit payment will be reduced by £1 for every £1 you receive from Carer’s Allowance.

If you are entitled to both the carer’s amount and the ‘limited capability for work’ or ‘limited capability for work and work-related activity’ amount (see below for more information), you won’t receive both. Instead you will receive the larger amount.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions :)

Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • ashleymurphy321
    ashleymurphy321 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
    Options
    Ami2301 thankyou so much this has helped a great deal 
  • madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Options
    If you decide not to claim Carer's Allowance, you can still claim the Carer's Element of UC which is not classed as income, its not as much.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.