Bike Riding to help COPD deterioration whilst on ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bike Riding to help COPD deterioration whilst on ESA?

Trev121
Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
Can anyone offer some advice, please?

I have COPD, which is the chronic and progressive lung disease that causes a constant shortness of breath. Following recent lung function tests, I think I'm now at stage 3 with it. I have recently been awarded ESA for this condition.

Because I walk slowly due to breathlessness, discomfort, etc, caused by my COPD, I put down on the ESA form for the Mobility descriptor that I cannot repeatedly mobilise 200 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion. 

Now, because of concern over my COPD's deterioration, my GP's strongly advised that I get more exercise to try to slow this deterioration down, although he has stated that it is unlikely my condition will ever improve or be cured - even with exercise. Walking and cycling were mentioned to help with this. However, although I am sure I would certainly benefit from cycling, as it will limit the breathlessness I get when walking, as well as helping to slow down this deterioration, I am worried that doing so may give the impression that I am too active for someone with my COPD condition.

So would I risk getting myself in trouble by cycling, as far as the DWP and my ESA award is concerned?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, so look at from outside of the box, you are claiming ESA under the mobility descriptor, and your asking the community if it will go against you if you are seen to be able to ride your or a bike to the job center. Personally I would say yes using an exercise bike or treadmill in your home is different but out on the open road or cycle path doing covering several miles is another thing altogether. Being in the fresh air and doing light to moderate exercises is good but arriving at job center or assessment center on your bike may well go down like a lead ballon.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I doubt that riding a bike would be classed as an aid, it will depend on how far you intend to ride but do remember it is not a one way trip. If you get out of breath easily walking then riding a bike on the road may not make it any easier unless all your rides are down hill
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Trev121
    Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Thanks,  Wilko and Cockney - and Yes, I think you're both right.. It was just an idea to try to help save on the breathlessness. I'll just stick to walking.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.