same Old same old — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

same Old same old

corblimey
corblimey Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
the DWP and Atos , what I don’t get is they can use falsified so called medical “ reports” and there’s no legal consequences, yet if you were to lie and cheat the benefits system , all of a sudden the law applies 

3 years and some months I’ve been fighting them and it’s been left to the tribunals I attended to get my benefits sorted , I’m on the last one for mobility now 

when I attended the assessment, on the report from an unknown 3 party it was stated that I was seen to walk 100 meters approximately, I’ve lost count of the amount of times I asked who the person was who was alleged to have seen  me and measure the approximate distance, no surprise, no one knows, but it was used to deny me benefits, it’s a complete and utter joke , why would I park 100 meters away
fr the assessment centre , when there’s parking spaces just round the corner  

Comments

• Eli27x
    Eli27x Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Its awful how they can lie on the reports. I've seen so many bad stories about lies. 
    Apparently, they watch from cameras from around the building to see how people walk & conduct themselves before & after the assessment. Although I'm not 100% sure this is true. 
    I hope things work out for you.
  • corblimey
    when I got there the assessor I was meant to see was running late ,so I had to wait for another assessor to come to the assessment center  ,at one point I went back to my car to have a ciggy, if that was the case in total I walked 400 meters 

it wasn’ t The assessor I ended up seeing who saw me walk the alleged 100 meters, how can an untrained nurse  let alone an unknown 3rd party give their tuppence worth , next they’ll have fish doing brain surgery, it wouldn’t surprise me 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @corblimey Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

There will be members of our community who can identify what you are going through.

Including my self. I know you are not alone. Have a look around our website. Plenty of discussion, debate on Benefit system.

I do understand it is very difficult and not easy to deal with. With so many inaccuracies and misinformation.

I have been doing the benefit system. A long time.  

Please if we can help with anything . Some one will know from our community or a member of our team.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • corblimey
    Thanks , I very much doubt anyone can help apart from myself, I’ve had disability charities or something along those lines attempt to help me , they made matters worse and ended up costing me money , only when I did things myself did I get any where , which came as a complete surprise, I still can’t get my head around how they are allowed to lie and get away with it, as though the (unknown) numbers who point out the lies , are lying themselves and the lying assessors are being 100% honest , 3 years I’ve been at it , but I’m getting there , when I went for my ESA , absolutely no problems whatsoever 

and foolishly I thought PIP. Would be the same , if it wasn’t for the anger I’d of given up , next time I go for a PIP assessment, I know exactly what I’m going to do 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    corblimey said:
    when I got there the assessor I was meant to see was running late ,so I had to wait for another assessor to come to the assessment center  ,at one point I went back to my car to have a ciggy, if that was the case in total I walked 400 meters 

it wasn’ t The assessor I ended up seeing who saw me walk the alleged 100 meters, how can an untrained nurse  let alone an unknown 3rd party give their tuppence worth , next they’ll have fish doing brain surgery, it wouldn’t surprise me 
    Have you actually measured the distance from where the car was to the seat in the waiting room?
    Bottom line it wouldn't be beyond them to have already measured it themselves. They certainly will have measured the distance from the waiting room to the assessing room and will watch how you walk and timing the walk. If the distance from the chair in the waiting room to the assessing room is 15 metres the assessor would be expecting that you would take at least 23 secs to get there if you were saying that you could not walk more than 20 metres.(min 31 secs) or put it another way walk the length of two large buses, nose to tail in more than 32 secs.
  • twonker
    edited April 2019
    In this case apparently the claimant was seen to have walked that distance (not CCTV)
    It would be rotten luck if when returning to the waiting room from the car the assessor also arrived and standing in the car park watched him walk?

• madquasimodo
    madquasimodo Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    I will point out part of my partners report on her assessment states " I watched her arrive and she walked with a stroller across the car park approximately 15 meters, so in some cases they do use your arrival as part of claim.

On my first F2F in Bournemouth the assessment centre has a park around 75-100 metres away, I was asked it I wanted to claim mileage, and when my assessment report was sent back it stated, "parked car and walked 100 metres to assessment" no mention of the massive ulcer on my leg or the fact it was bandaged and I had trouble walking.

I will say and its only hearsay, when I worked the person I was with told me he went to the centre with his wife, while there someone came in wheelchair bound, made a big noise about needing help to get to the room, when he got outside after his wife was done with her assessment, there was the guy stood up folding the wheelchair walking around and driving off, I know there are some conditions which may explain this I am waiting to see in the papers if he was running a marathon.

While some assessors may well be genuine and follow the rules, some don't 
  • madquasimodo
    ilovecats said:
    I was always told that if it happened outside we couldn’t write about it. 

I don't doubt you and from what I have seen from your responses, I would say your the exception, sadly like many claimants people get judged by the actions of others, I only speak from my own experience, there may be many like you who do a "proper" assessment, but as you know from this site, many others are not so diligent. 
  • twonker
    ilovecats said:
    I was always told that if it happened outside we couldn’t write about it. 

Very frustrating when I would have to score someone for being in a wheelchair, then watching them pick it up and put it in the boot and drive their manual car away, after telling me they couldn’t wipe their own bum. 
    So if you got off the same bus to go the centre with someone else and he/she walked quite normally with you and then the next time you saw him/her was in a wheelchair stating that he couldn't walk you would ignore what you had seen previously? I would imagine that you could have asked how he came to the assessment. And when told that he/she had to have someone drop him/her at the door as they could not walk more than 5 metres without pain.
    If so that will be a weight off some claimant's shoulders. Frightened to death that someone might have seen them walking to the assessment.
  • corblimey
    What I’d like to know is who saw me and how did they know it was me from over the “ alleged “ 100 meters away especially as I just parked around the corner in a parking bay 

who in their right mind is gonna park 100 meters away especially when they’re riddled with arthritis in feet back including worn disc and knees
  • madquasimodo
    I will add in my case the assessment centre was an old house converted so the rooms looked out on the car park, I know there are different locations, as my partner ended up on an industrial estate for her assessment. 

It may come across as anti establishment when I point out the many errors that the DWP/assessment centres have made, but my last assessment I wish I could repeat, there are some excellent people working for the system, she was a ex-nurse who had worked in mental health and the most important bit, she knew about my leg infection and knew how it impacted my walking, she did a full medical, and I could not fault her report. I just wish they all worked like that, my partner has had the opposite and has this morning received an appointment for UC/ESA medical, which they arranged on 2nd floor, even though they know she cannot use stairs, so second medical 3rd assessment, all of hers have been bad in comparison to mine. 
  • twonker

my partner has had the opposite and has this morning received an appointment for UC/ESA medical, which they arranged on 2nd floor, even though they know she cannot use stairs, so second medical 3rd assessment, all of hers have been bad in comparison to mine. 
    A sure thing to prove or disprove the ability to walk - up some stairs!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.