Getting PIP when diagnosed with Fibromyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting PIP when diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

June1980
June1980 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Dear All, firstly nice to meet you all.
I have a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I’m attending my PIP medical assessment tomorrow and feel really nervous. I’m worried I won’t qualify. I’m unable to work because I’m in agony all over my body, Good days are very few. I have been referred to St Thomas fibromyalgia clinic in June. I was diagnosed by Rhumetology at my local hospital after going to the GP which felt like years. I also been to pain clinics. I’m unable to work as most days I can’t walk and suffer extreme tiredness along with wide spread the pain. My husband has to help me eat, dress, bath. I can’t cook without any support and I will only go out with my husband so he can get me in out of the car and even then I have to have him support me walking around short distances but most of my days are spent at home. I’m going out of my mind because I’ve heard it’s hard to get PIP for fibromyalgia. Is anyone successful with this... please help me xxx

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @June1980

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Here’s some info for you below:

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/34102/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatique-moving-from-work-group-to-support-group-esa

Please let me know if you have any further problems??

@steve51
  • June1980
    Thank you so much steve51. I will click on your link now x
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @June1980

No probs please please let me know if there’s any problems???

@steve51
  • June1980
    Thank you, it’s a shame that it’s common to them but when you have it, you can’t help but feel alone ?. I had my PIP assessment yesterday morning and then this morning DWP sent me a text to say they have received the report... fingers crossed ?.
    The Assessment went ok (I think) the lady was lovely and I didn’t feel judged. I know they are trained to put you at ease. She asked questions, I answered the best I could. She asked if she could do some exercises I.e lifting my legs but she could see I was in agony and stopped and said she wouldn’t ask me to do anymore. 

She also let me out at a fire escape by her office as she could see I could hardly walk. Thank god for my husband as he supports most of my weight whilst I walk. 

Hope everyone is ok xxx
  • June1980
    ilovecats said:
    June1980 said:
    Thank you, it’s a shame that it’s common to them but when you have it, you can’t help but feel alone ?. I had my PIP assessment yesterday morning and then this morning DWP sent me a text to say they have received the report... fingers crossed ?.
    The Assessment went ok (I think) the lady was lovely and I didn’t feel judged. I know they are trained to put you at ease. She asked questions, I answered the best I could. She asked if she could do some exercises I.e lifting my legs but she could see I was in agony and stopped and said she wouldn’t ask me to do anymore. 

She also let me out at a fire escape by her office as she could see I could hardly walk. Thank god for my husband as he supports most of my weight whilst I walk. 

Hope everyone is ok xxx
    I’m glad you had a good experience. Most assessors try hard to be kind. Some don’t and we see that written here, but most are in it to try and do right by the people who need it.
    Thank you so much... after reading so many horrors that many have faced is shocking and really not fair. Thinking back to my assessment I do think my answers could be twisted to fit whatever needs they want but fingers crossed they have answered with my best interested at heart. I’d hate to have that job because they must face pressures. It’s just the horrid waiting game and I’m sure like many of us the anxiety is awful. Xxx
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    June1980 said:

Thank you so much... after reading so many horrors that many have faced is shocking and really not fair. Thinking back to my assessment I do think my answers could be twisted to fit whatever needs they want but fingers crossed they have answered with my best interested at heart. I’d hate to have that job because they must face pressures. It’s just the horrid waiting game and I’m sure like many of us the anxiety is awful. Xxx
    Pressures? Yes they are told that they have to carry out a minimum of 4 assessments a day. 
    As for any other pressure I would quite honestly suggest that they don't give a damn if someone gets an award or not, obviously if there is any hint of hostility from the claimant you definitely won't get an award.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    ilovecats said:

I’m glad you had a good experience. Most assessors try hard to be kind. Some don’t and we see that written here, but most are in it to try and do right by the people who need it.
    do right by the people who need it? What has that got to do with the assessment? Many claimants don't 'need' it, they are already well provided for financially. Needing the benefit should never come into the question. It's all about proving entitlement not need. Are you suggesting maybe that those that have no need of the money should not be awarded it? 
  • Tazzie
    Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Glad it seemed to go well. :)
  • June1980
    twonker said:
    June1980 said:

Pressures? Yes they are told that they have to carry out a minimum of 4 assessments a day. 
    As for any other pressure I would quite honestly suggest that they don't give a damn if someone gets an award or not, obviously if there is any hint of hostility from the claimant you definitely won't get an award.
    Yes, I’ve read through some post where people have been treated less then human at their assessment which is awful. Even though, I think mine went well I still felt degraded, having to sit in front of a stranger and talk about how my FM affects me each day. Most of the discussions on here, people are having to jump through hoops to get what they are entitled too,  I’m already thinking that I won’t be awarded anything. I had a message from DWP yesterday morning saying they have received my report, quick I thought as I only had the assessment the day before. I called them to check my meds where right on the form as I had a change before assessment and I made them aware at the assesssment... guess what the lady never changed it. I asked for my medical assessment to be sent to me. I’ve read on other discussions and they say it’s a good idea just incase you need to do a mandatory reconsider. I’m really anxious tbh if I didn’t feel I need it then I wouldn’t apply. Thank you all, I feel supported by you. Xxx
  • June1980
    Tazzie said:
    Glad it seemed to go well. :)
    Thank you ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,938 Disability Gamechanger
    The reported being returned to DWP the day after the assessment doesn't mean anything other than it's been returned. Some people's reports are returned the same day.

You will always read bad stories on an internet forum because if someone's had a decision they are happy with they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story. Lots of people successfully claim PIP without any problems at all.

When you receive the report somewhere in there will be boxes with dots/ticks, compare those with the PIP descriptors to see what points are recommended. They usually go with the report. If you're not happy then you have 1 month to request the MR once the decision is made. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • June1980
    The reported being returned to DWP the day after the assessment doesn't mean anything other than it's been returned. Some people's reports are returned the same day.

You will always read bad stories on an internet forum because if someone's had a decision they are happy with they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story. Lots of people successfully claim PIP without any problems at all.

When you receive the report somewhere in there will be boxes with dots/ticks, compare those with the PIP descriptors to see what points are recommended. They usually go with the report. If you're not happy then you have 1 month to request the MR once the decision is made. Good luck.
    Thank you for your help. Your right people wouldn’t reach out for support if they are successful. Fingers crossed ? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.