How — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How

Singing
Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
How am I supposed to survive if they don’t award me back pip after the mandatory reconsideration? If I have to wait up to a year for tribunal ? 

At at the moment I don’t have enough money for food. 

Genuine question, 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @Singing
    i know it sounds awkward but if you are really desperate you may be able to get some assistance from a local food bank.You would probably have to contact your local benefits office to find out where your nearest is and how to access it.
    im sorry I can’t be of more help.
          Debsidoo.xx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Singing how long ago did you put in for your mandatory reconsideration? 
    It might be worth you getting in touch with your local Citizens Advice Bureau who will be able to go through your circumstances and see if there is any other financial support you are eligible for in the mean time. If you're struggling they can also issue you with vouchers for your local food bank. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    What benefits are you receiving?

PIP is paid as a contribution towards the extra costs that a disabled person faces because of the disability.
    It should not be a case that it is added to your normal income to cover everyday items.

If you are short of money, maybe you haven't claimed for other benefits. Maybe a good point would be for you to go to the CAB to get a benefit check up to ensure that you are receiving what you are entitled to in the form of income replacement benefits.
  • Singing
     When I lose PIP, it means that they cut my other benefits as well. So I’m left with about £50 a month. After rent and bills. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Are claiming housing benefit? £50 after housing and bills does not seem right. Does your housing benefit not pay for the rent? 

I would go to the CAB and get some advice/help. I assume that you don't have any debts as benefit income would mean just a token £1 to be paid for these.

• Singing
    edited April 2019
    Yes but because I live alone and am under 35 they cut my Housing benefit when I lose pip- (£120 less) so it ends up with around £50 a month after bills. 
  • Singing
    It definitely isn’t right ! But that’s exactly how it is ! 
  • Singing
    edited April 2019
  • Singing
    There should be a middle ground in my opinion 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.