Love to hear good experiences of PIP? How to transition more smoothly? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Love to hear good experiences of PIP? How to transition more smoothly?

boxerwalker
boxerwalker Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I am a carer for my husband and need some support from time to time.
PIP is the next hurdle........
Not looking forward to it and hubby very worried as we've heard such horror stories ?
Love to hear about good experiences? Or how to transition from DLA to PIP more smoothly...if possible ?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @boxerwalker welcome to the community! Many of our community members have experienced the transition from DLA to PIP and I am sure they will be happy to support you and advise you :)

The criteria for PIP is very different to DLA, it is important to read the descriptors carefully and state which one is most applicable and why - remember you must state examples.

Have you tried our PIP self-test? This gives you an idea of what award your husband your husband may receive. Please note, this test is just a guideline.

Let us know if you need and further help! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @boxerwalker Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

Regarding PIP.  May I suggest when the form comes read everything carefully.

Make an appointment with CAB.  They have expertise and knowledge filling in forms.

This is what I would do make drafts of answers to the questions. On the form on paper.

When you go down to CAB.  Use that information you have with suggestions and the right words.  Will advise what is needed.

There will fill in the form for you . Explaining relevant points you need.

I have always done this. Either a support worker or outreach worker to fill in the form for me. With me next to them.  Together fill in the form.

Now use CAB.  Does help.

We have lots on information on PIP on our website have a look.

Hope that helps you.  Please ask any questions be happy to help.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for a PIP award. Unlike DLA, PIP is awarded to people that have functional difficulties with daily activities and mobility.
    If you can get help with the form then please make sure that you retain a copy. As with all things DWP you should keep copies
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Bazza1953
    Bazza1953 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Re pip? As my wifes full time carer I deal with her pip claims in my opinion pip is not fit for purpose they are not really interested in your needs but a costing exercise in my wifes case how hurtful is it to be told you carnt qualify for a mobility car because your too old even though she cannot use public transport so I carnt begin to say anything good about pip since weve had problems with the DWP its changed my veiws on the whole benifet system 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    Bazza1953 said:
    Re pip? As my wifes full time carer I deal with her pip claims in my opinion pip is not fit for purpose they are not really interested in your needs but a costing exercise in my wifes case how hurtful is it to be told you carnt qualify for a mobility car because your too old even though she cannot use public transport so I carnt begin to say anything good about pip since weve had problems with the DWP its changed my veiws on the whole benifet system 
    DLA was the same as PIP when it came to mobility. If you didn't receive the higher rate before you reached 65 then you couldn't receive it after that. Slightly different for those transferring from DLA even if they're over 65, they can claim the Enhanced mobility when transferring.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fitznspatz
    Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    Boxerwalker,
    Here is the text of something I posted about two months ago. My wife’s experience was a positive one, a contrasting perspective to that of Bazza1953.

Can I also put in a word of praise to the assessor as my wife’s experience was also exemplary. She too had a home assessment, something unilaterally offered by Capita. Mind you the session got off to a tricky start with a phone call from the assessor asking ‘Where are you? I’m on the doorstep ringing the bell and no one is answering’. He wasn’t, he was in the next village where the occupant was out.

That was readily sorted and he spent about 40 minutes in the house. In preparation for the interview my wife had assembled the various aids like ring pulls, mug filling alarms etc that make her life easier and were referred to in the application. He said that was not absolutely necessary but thanked her for doing so and said he noticed them on the table when he arrived. He added he also noted the grab rails in the porch and by the front door, and her white stick and other walking sticks in the porch. I think they are trained to be observant about such things.

The whole conversation was relaxed and interactive. He listened very attentively and there was never a sense he was trying to catch my wife out. At one point he asked permission for her to copy the various body movements he was making. Naturally not all could be done and when my wife said she would rather not doing a particular bending motion for fear of triggering giddiness and a headache he immediately agreed.

After the introductions were made I chose to go into the next room to give them privacy but I was well aware I could have been present. I was, however, listening to all that was said! Nothing would have caused embarrassment although at one time the discussion veered onto suicide plans, something written in the application and the matter is not a secret between us though I choose not to ask about it or press the matter.

In total the interview lasted 40 minutes and the assessor thanked my wife for being so helpful and for the clarity of her answers. We took that as a good sign and, for the first time, I believed there was now a better than 50:50 chance of there being a positive outcome. My wife was always more optimistic but, unlike me, she had not heard some of the depressing reports on Radio 4 of people being refused PIP despite obvious disabilities. 

We should here within 8 weeks, said the assessor as he left the house. That took us to early January but ... nothing. Phoning the helpline just elicited the reply that the matter was still under consideration. Phoned again in late January but still nothing. In early February they told us that they had asked the assessor for some extra information and that had been received on January 28th. A decision would definitely be received within 2 to 3 weeks. Knowing they wanted extra details led to some despondency but we should not have worried because a ‘good news’ letter arrived on Friday, just over 14 weeks after the interview. The award holds firm until 2028.

I do not know if this will help anyone but with her application my wife submitted a double sided sheet of A4 listing her various medical conditions (among them 6 cancers and a brain aneurysm), the date of diagnosis, the hospital giving the treatment, the name of the consultant and a cross-reference to the photocopied sheets confirming the veracity of this. Even if it was no use in the PIP process, it was still beneficial to have a coherent medical summary. Time and again my wife is asked to give new medical staff she sees a brief summary of her medical history and this synopsis can just be passed over.

Can I also recommend this site to you, first brought to the attention of forum users by @justg73

www.pipinfo.net

Good luck with your application. I think a critical point to remember is that you are not being asked to prove your husband’s disabilities but, much more importantly, how those conditions impact on his daily life. Think carefully about the things on the application form and, where it is appropriate, give an account of why undertaking that task is a challenge. What adaptations do you make to your daily life to accommodate them? What living aids do you find useful?

Having a critical friend look over the application can be very helpful. An assiduous reader will pick up inconsistencies, ambiguities and possible contradictions. Do a draft of the application - in fact do many - and go back to it over the course of several days thinking about how you might have expressed yourself with greater clarity or how you should include an extra piece of pertinent detail.

Photocopy your application and supporting paperwork and keep all the relevant paperwork neatly filed. Note the date you sent it and log too all subsequent phone calls to the DWP or Atos/Capita registering the date, time and name of the person you spoke to.

I hope it all goes well.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited April 2019
    Bazza1953 said:
    how hurtful is it to be told you carnt qualify for a mobility car because your too old even though she cannot use public transport 
    For a start PIP is a 'working age benefit' As Poppy has said if your wife had qualified for a motability car before she was 65 then she would continue to qualify after 65 subject of course to her maintaining the award after 65.
    After 65 it is deemed that if you have mobility issues then they are not a disability but simply suffering from the normal aging process.
    Besides which a Motability car has lost it's attraction since PIP came in. With regular re-assessments you have every chance of the car being repossessed if you fail to keep the enhanced mobility rate. Much better and safer to buy your own now. 
    As for transport have you not considered taxis?
  • thespiceman

Hello @Bazza1953 Sorry to hear about your wife's situation.

Understand a lot of this just like to share and care.

Having always had a car on the scheme since early nineties before that when working bought my cars.

Last year had to hand it back. On PIP. My concerns how will I cope.

Looked at the range of options. That Motability send you in their leaflet, booklet.

Decided not to appeal and decided to look at re -structuring and adapting everything that I used a car for.

Got standard rate of PIP.  Use that for taxis.  Went on line had a look at reviews can they help with disabled people like our community.

Made on error got a taxi number from a neighbour. Local lad more intent on scrutiny of me and more interested in getting the cash and his attitude was wrong.  His loss . So reason went on line.

Found a taxi firm I liked .  Also one idea is to look for one with mobile numbers. You can text in your booking.  Then text you back with price of fare.

I always put everything down include that then can do it quickly. No one likes to ring up any one who is on the road. Get details wrong has been known.

Please may I suggest use taxis as advised your choice but many of these firms do know what is happening to our community.

That was that done . Add now find get everything delivered I need. Shopping, food, household.  Prescriptions and much more . Probably only use taxi once a month maybe and combine that with visits to bank and any appointments.

One final point have many concerns for those going to the supermarkets. With the rise of on line shopping. Are we going to see empty shelves again like in some places.

I asked the delivery driver one time. To be told we prioritise on line deliveries first. Lots of reassurance.

Another point could be extra brownie points here if reassessed again.

As I never go out.  Rarely.  Questioned as I have been in the past.  Do you  shop?. Walking and around supermarket.  Do not now the reply will come?

Often might be useful in any assessment.

Here hoping or am I dreaming again.?

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman

Hello @Fitznspatz Thank you for sharing your experiences about your wife's assessment.

I think it is good to hear some positive stories from any one having an assessment.

I know assessors on here have had a lot of bad press. Also can understand every one experiences.  Who had a bad time dealing with an assessor.

Including my good self.

Who had a fare share of really bad horrific experiences. There again these are equalled measured out by some good ones.

Positive ones and I focus on them.

I have been doing the benefit system a long time.   Seen a lot of changes and adaptions. We are still harassed, felt insecure and have fears.

As I age older. More wiser more attune and more responsive to keeping my knowledge fresh and be more aware.

I know when I go into an assessment of course anxious, nervous on edge.  Any one who has done this feels the same.

End of the day we are human beings people of a community.  If the assessor feels wants to demean, embarrass, hurt, harm and make me feel small. Sometimes inadequate.

Then they in my opinion we need to show we are not.  Have a voice speak up.  Understand get emotional . Be honest and open.  Sincerity goes a long way to express give or take how you are.

Use the information on your form think what you are saying.  Make it simple.

Do a rerun through.  Have a copy of the form with you.  Practise what you might say.

Try have some one with you.  Support workers or health workers the best people in my opinion.  Used them because they speak for you .

Before even went in . Had many support workers contact me we do a dry rehearsal and run through. Any thing they wished to know.

Usually put a report in with form and on the day.

Now no support or health workers. Used friend.  One other point may I advise. See your Doctor before and after, can help with signposting. Additional support, guidance.

I made an appointment when form arrives.  Also after assessment to keep Doctor informed.

Yes I lost my car last time. Got to think already planned and had expectations might lose this.

All that is a car.  Still got points. Still got the rate of PIP.

Please may I add we are here anytime.  To advise, guide the next steps if that does happen.

Here to you wishing a positive outcome.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @boxerwalker  I am my son's appointee but due to my own physical/mental problems I could not attend the face to face. I rang the assessment provider to ask if my husband, his Dad could go instead and this was agreed providing I wrote a letter giving him the OK to speak etc. The interview went very well, the assessor was 100% honest and pleasant from what I was told and the outcome was as it should be. That he remains on the same rate of PIP he was on before. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    edited April 2019
    Hi,

I claimed PIP in 2013, it took around 7 months from start to finish, I was awarded PIP in 2014, enhanced/enhanced, I didn't really have any medical evidence, from what I can gather Capita asked for some info from my GP who stated that I had tried different things to help myself and none of it had worked, I didn't take meds at the time either (still don't), the assessor was alright, I've since looked at my report, the assessor only told a couple of small porkies but it was nothing major and nothing to complain about, she just claimed she had done certain tests when she hadn't and there was a couple of other things she said I had done that I hadn't but the report she did otherwise was very accurate with her giving her own opinion and acknowledging the letter from my previous GP. She stated in my report that she felt me getting better would be a long term process and to check on me in 5 years to make sure I was getting the correct care, I've just had that review, I had an assessment on the 4th, no idea how it went, again I have no proper evidence and I'm not taking meds due to them not working for my mental health and I can't take painkillers due to stomach and swallowing problems. 

I'd have to say that both of the assessors that I've had regardless of them being accurate with my report or not were pretty nice, understanding, polite, the second one could see I was struggling so let my Son help and sometimes I couldn't understand what the person was saying or didn't know what he meant so my Son would relay it back to me, he was fine with that too. Not all assessors are ogres.

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited April 2019
    Hello @boxerwalker and welcome to the community! :) 

Hopefully some of the positive stories you've read here will have helped to reassure you. It's important to keep in mind that although some people have negative experiences with PIP assessments, lots of people do claim PIP without any problems. Those who have negative experiences will always be more vocal as they are the ones requiring help so need to discuss it.

Best of luck and if we can be of any help please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't transfer from DLA because i was refused that just before PIP started. Once PIP started i put a claim in for that, which took 11 months at the time.

My experience was good. Went for a face to face assessment with a woman who was really nice, understanding and helpful. Received the report a couple of weeks later with no lies or contradictions at all. Awarded Standard/Standard.

Review 2 years later, again went for face to face assessment. The HCP again was female and she was one of the nicest people i've ever met. It was a really cold day and she could see i was freezing, so she turned the heating up in the room. I was in the assessment for 10 minutes where i was asked questions about my worsening mobility, which i answered. She then said she's got all the information she needed and i could go. Received a phone call from a case manager just 4 days later asking me when my mobility got worse, which i answered. 24 hours later i rang DWP and a decision was made, Standard/Enhanced with mobility being backdated 2 months.

Received the report for the 2nd assessment and again everything was honest and truthful.

My daughters first PIP claim in 2017. I'm her appointee, she had a home assessment by a male. He was very nice and understanding. My daughter isn't great around males because she doesn't have much contact with them but i was able to answer all her questions. She just sat in the chair looking at the floor the whole time. She did have to answer 2 questions at the end, one was for memory and the other was a maths questions, both she got wrong.

Received her report for this 6 weeks later and everything in there was honest and truthful. Awarded Enhanced/Enhanced.

Recent review for my daughter was a paper based assessment. Received the report which had just 1 small contradiction but it didn't affect anything. Award Enhanced/Enhanced.

There are people out there that have positive experiences but you'll rarely hear about them. If someone's had a decision they're happy with they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.

My advice is to put as much information as possible on the form, adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Remember PIP is about how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Not about a diagnosis.

Make sure you send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim. They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP providing the PIP forms are returned on time. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    I just want to say I didn't put all my conditions on the form last time simply because I hadn't had tests recently and didn't have what I thought was the necessary medical evidence. However after reading these positive experiences I will be up front about everything for my review. So @boxerwalker isn't the only one you others have helped. 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    wildlife said:
    I just want to say I didn't put all my conditions on the form last time simply because I hadn't had tests recently and didn't have what I thought was the necessary medical evidence. However after reading these positive experiences I will be up front about everything for my review. So @boxerwalker isn't the only one you others have helped. 
     I completed my form like that. I worked out what evidence I had and didn't have and only included the details for which evidence was available. No point in putting something down if I wasn't able to prove it. Also I didn't put anything down that had already been dismissed by the previous assessor. No point in wasting my time and theirs knowing what the same answer would be again.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.