I was just informed my p.i.p was stopping. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I was just informed my p.i.p was stopping.

Kaisy
Kaisy Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Sorry for bothering, but this morning, i was given a huge amount of horrible news, i was informed that my PIP was coming to an end and infact, it has already ended on the 12th. I scored no points whatsoever, despite the fact that i live with my mother, need her for just about everything from getting dressed to eating. I am housebound and locked in my room due to anxiety and depression, i am pretty much cripped with the aforementioned mental illnesses. This greatly upset me...as no circumstances have changed since the time i was awarded pip a few years ago but they felt it necessary to leave me without an income, i have no idea, i am shaking and on the verge of tears. Once again, sorry for bothering but may i ask for some advice or something that would help me cope with the information, i am really lost.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Firstly, have you received a copy of the assessment report? If not then i'd advise you to ring DWP to request one is sent out to you.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Send relevant evidence with the letter to support your claim.

Expect to have to take it to Tribunal as only 18% of MR decisions change. Appearing in person at your Tribunal will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. The whole process can be extremely long and if you have to take it to Tribunal waiting times for hearings are in excess of 1 year for a lot of areas.

I'd advise contacting an advice centre near you for help and support. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kaisy welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened. It's understandable and completely that you are upset and feeling lost right now, I can assure you many members of our community have experienced this. You are not bothering us at all, we are here to help :)

Let's take one step at a time, did you go for a review?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Kaisy
    I went for a review for the first time a few years ago, at great difficulty, this was at a center in glasgow. For the review this year, they sent someone out to me as going to public places sends me into panic attacks and they felt it best. And thank you for helping with this, i am sorry for bothering once again.
  • Ami2301
    There is no need to apologise :) 

Will you be appealing this decision?
  • Kaisy
    I will be trying to, though i do not know how or even if it would work. They gave me no points on the sheet despite the circumstances not changing fromw hen they gave me it.
  • Ami2301
    Ok, the first step is to apply for a mandatory reconsideration, which you can find out more here. If you need any further help or any questions, please do not hesitate to let us know :)
  • Kaisy
    Thank you for helping. The issue is, the let me know today, the start of a bank holiday, so i am helpless until tuesday, its a very anxious wait. So pl;ease believe me when i say, thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me.
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    sorry to hear your bad news, i'm in the same boat, as i'm 52 this year and have done 5 assessments so far, all scoring enough apart from one which i was one point short, this time i also scored 0 points, so pass 3 failed now 2, so your not alone, in fact your one of many, turn onto the last page of the assessment and it says what to do next, while it used to also come with the forms, now you have to get them yourself, a kind of another punishment for being on it on the first place, as it's your fault, not there's, in there eyes so don't wish to help.

1st you need to appeal, using the standard Mandatory Reconsideration request, which has a lower than 20% success rate, once passed or failed, pass carry on smiling, fail then it's the Tribunal, which tbh is a better system, as it's a panel of doctors and as long as you have the evidence as they read and not just look at you, you should be fine, good luck 

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Challenging-a-Personal-Independence-Payment-decisi/Ask-for-Mandatory-Reconsideration

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2019
    Hi Kaisy

The first stage is to request a mandatory reconsideration, this you must do before appealing to the tribunal.
    You should read the descriptors and give 2-3 examples of what happened last time you attempted the activity. If you have any relevant evidence then you should also submit this with your request. The success rate at MR is around 18% but you must complete this stage before appealing to the tribunal where, if you attend the success rate is around 70%

If possible you should get a full benefits check from an advice agency near you, PIP is not generally regarded as an income replacement benefit but is awarded to assist with the extra costs involved with daily living and or mobility when you have a condition that limits your functionality
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Ami2301
    No problem at all :) Unfortunately, Friday is a very common day to receive letters that involve acting upon them, which depending on the time your post arrives, you can't contact them until the monday/Tuesday in the following week.

However, what you can do is gather and research all that you need to know at the first stage. As I said, please do not worry, although it's easier said than done, we will help you :)
  • Kaisy
    Thank you so much, i will let you all know how it all goes, i just have a nervous wait until tuesday
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Kaisy Thank you for contacting the community. You are not bothering any one.

We are here to help and advise with anything.

Understand what you are going through.  Many of our community are experiencing this all the time.

I know what is important to find some help and support with your MR. As several members have suggested to you.

You mentioned anxiety and depression.  Please can I ask are you receiving any support for this.?

I know this is difficult and not easy to deal with.

I myself have anxiety and depression my self know every day is a challenge and am here to help if I can.

I used mental health charities if I can suggest speak to this one.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

You can self refer or through your Doctor. You can access a floating support or an outreach worker. Get help with welfare and benefits. Plus support with attending assessments and anything similar.

Help and advise you on a benefit review and guidance.

Understand the need to look at wellbeing and health will take clientele with additional problems and issues.

I hope that helps.

We are here to listen and be supportive.

Keep in touch.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    good luck Kaisy

my 0 score assessment letter dated on the 15th April 2019 arrived on the 17th, yesterday on the 18th of April 2019 arrived my P45 from the DWP, also dated on the 15th, funny how if you ask them something it can take a month of Sundays and other times like a bus they all arrive at once :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Kaisy, I just wanted to post and welcome you to the community. You've been given some excellent advice about appealing and putting in a mandatory reconsideration which I hope is of some help.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2019
    zakblood said:
    good luck Kaisy

my 0 score assessment letter dated on the 15th April 2019 arrived on the 17th, yesterday on the 18th of April 2019 arrived my P45 from the DWP, also dated on the 15th, funny how if you ask them something it can take a month of Sundays and other times like a bus they all arrive at once :)
    You were assessed for ESA and this is the PIP part of the forum and they are different benefits. Please be aware that if you were previously in the Support Group, it's not about scoring points. For this group it's about satisfying at least one of the Support Group descriptors or reg35. WRAG is about scoring points.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kaisy
    Sorry for bothering, i just wanted to update something.
    I phoned them up anmd they said they felt i was healthy enough to work... and will send me a consideration form.
    I asked the local welfare rights woman to phone me to help me and will ask the doctor to confirm my situation, hopefully ti will work
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Is this in regards to PIP?
  • Kaisy
    It is, WF2K, they stopped my pip after a home visit
  • poppy123456
    Kaisy said:
    Sorry for bothering, i just wanted to update something.
    I phoned them up anmd they said they felt i was healthy enough to work... and will send me a consideration form.
    I asked the local welfare rights woman to phone me to help me and will ask the doctor to confirm my situation, hopefully ti will work
    PIP isn't about not being able to work. It's about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. You should put this in writing stating where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why.

Do you have a copy of the assessment report? If you don't then ring DWP to request a copy to be sent to you. This will help you know what was written in the report and the reasons no points were recommended. Try not to focus on any lies that may have been told in the report. DWP won't be interested in any of those.

If you didn't send evidence to support your claim then i'd advise you to send it with the MR request.
  • Kaisy
    I asked them for a report. They said i was more than able to do everything, despite crippling anxiety and psychological stress and that i need my mother or a helper to help me 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.